Fish

jgarrett830

ok....tank is doing good for people have been keeping up....it is a 12 nano...it has been cycling for over 4 months...all is good..not time to add livestock....just wondering if it would be ok to put 2 baby clowns in the tank..LFS advised they would be fine....and also added a camel shrip today....LFS is going to get the fish for me..and keep them in his tank a few days to make sure they want start any fighting....So lets here yall's take on the subject..this is the only fish im planning on putting in the tank.....So lets here it girls and guys...

Midnight

clown fish start out little but can grow fast. There is a rule that people try to follow and that is 5 gallons for ever adult size of the fish. I think most clowns have a adult size of 4" so one clown would be to much for your 12 gallon cube. Its up to you but I don't think anyone on here is going to say that 2 clowns or even one clown is going to be okay in a tank that size.

DaveK

Midnight has an excellent point. In addition, by the time you add live rock, and a modest amount of sand (about 1/2") that 12 gal nano is down to about 8 gal of water.

Nanos can be real gems, but you do need to realize that there are limitations. I'd be looking as one small fish.

funkpolice

I have a fully grown clown, and I think he would be miserable in a really small tank. I wish I had a bigger one for him myself. He swims from end to end and top to bottom of my 55 gal.
bill

jgarrett830

well to be honest that is why i set up the tank...might be best to just throw it out..and start over...im currently working ona 125gal ...how about that...yall think they will fit in there

Midnight

slow is good :) if I was you I would fire up your 12 gallon and just get some zoos and other small frags of corals. Then when you get your 125 up you can move them over and give yourself a head start.

jgarrett830

yea......that is the plan......one of my buddies on here lives close...and he is good .....to me...he has frags ready to put in .....and he knows how i love the clown.....what was the problem..i was torn between a black or orange ......that are about 1 inch long....i don't really want any other fish till i get a bigger tank..and this one im going to give to my son..i started small...so i could learn to take care of it..if things died i knew what to do...and a bigger one is easier.....so if i can make a dang good tank out of a 12g....surely i can have great success in a bigger one.....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hey buddy! I have to say it can be done but NOT suggested. You have to be careful what the LFS is telling you. They may be intentionally leading you wrong to get the sale or they may NOT know better. Keep in mind they aren't in the business to keep fish long-term and yes they probably have MANY clowns in a med-small tank but they want them to LEAVE Asap!!

I have a clown in my 12g NanoCube and have had it in here for (counting the months on calendar) 21 months this very month. I put it into the tank March of 2007 and he's still going strong. Is this the most AWESOME home for him? I don't know for sure but it's healthy and has so much personality that I find it hard to believe it's not healthy. Now to add some input.. I do WEEKLY water changes of 10% (or more) and he's the only fish. At one point there was a Citron goby but it went into the rock work and I never saw it again (clueless what happened). Then I had a Neon Goby in here for about 9 months and it just vanished (clueless).

So CAN you do this? Yes... IF you make some decisions...

A) it depends on the type of clown (some can get very large)

B) if you're willing to commit (it's a LONG term commitment) to hold up your end of the bargain and do what's right to maintain this system.

C) I think ONLY one clown for sure. With such a small system you need all the luck/help you can get and adding 2 clowns will over-load your system in short order and your tank will decline from that as your work load on the tank will increase..

:)

framerguy

I understand this is just your starter "practice" tank and you will be moving the fish to a larger home once it is set up. That is why I said one small clown would be fine in there. Made sure you give all the info you can when asking for other peoples advice and the help will be more accurate to your situation. The 12g as a temporary home would work IMO. I'll help you set up the larger tank once it is here. See ya soon buddy!

framerguy

Some info about this LFS...I believe they truly mean well and would not intentionally steer anyone wrong just to make a sale. It's just that they honestly don't know, or think they are giving correct info. Clint is a great and upstanding guy and goes the extra mile to make his customers happy. It is a pet store more expert in reptiles and crawly critters rather than SW fish but they are making a valiant effort to learn about SW.

jgarrett830

yea......good...i think the world of you two....im up in the air about the clowns....i like the black percela..and the orange percela.......so it is time to vote on which one....guys.....lets here it,,,the most votes...is it..LOL....

jgarrett830

yea....ok.....let me add this in ....with the black....i really set this tank up for my son....so he can watch the fish....so u still think the black and white would be better for him to see.....

jgarrett830

oh by the way .i see u are from orlando...when u going to let me come see the syetem u have..LOL......vacation..LOL and in return a trip to the mtns of north ga..LOL

framerguy

yea....ok.....let me add this in ....with the black....i really set this tank up for my son....so he can watch the fish....so u still think the black and white would be better for him to see.....
I don't think so. If he has seen Finding Nemo then I think he would like the orange one better because it "looks" like Nemo. JMO.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Some info about this LFS...I believe they truly mean well and would not intentionally steer anyone wrong just to make a sale. It's just that they honestly don't know, or think they are giving correct info. Clint is a great and upstanding guy and goes the extra mile to make his customers happy. It is a pet store more expert in reptiles and crawly critters rather than SW fish but they are making a valiant effort to learn about SW.

That's GREAT news! If they are willing to learn and "change" with the knowledge that's a HUGE step forward for them, their business and their customers. KUDOS to them :)

I vote for the ORANGE for the kiddo! he can relate to it better (Nemo) and they are easier to find and hopefully a lil more "HARDY"