Fish food, NOPOX, and Phosphates

Well here is a question for the reef geniuses out there! I feed Dr. Gs coral reef banquet once a day.

NOPOX has always helped nitrates. But when it comes to phosphates it's sucked and I really thought about it and I remembering reading something from Aviad about feeding.

Do they recommend a fish food that doesn't add phosphates? Or am I just going crazy again ;)

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Most if not all processed fish food will contain phosphates. Phosphates being the building blocks will be present in fresh food as well therefore constant monitoring and removal of it from our system is required, either through regular water changes, phosphate reactors or phosphate removal media :)

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Well here is a question for the reef geniuses out there! I feed Dr. Gs coral reef banquet once a day.

NOPOX has always helped nitrates. But when it comes to phosphates it's sucked and I really thought about it and I remembering reading something from Aviad about feeding.

Do they recommend a fish food that doesn't add phosphates? Or am I just going crazy again ;)

SenseiSays, I would like further information please on why you feel No3Po4-X did not work for you in regards to Phosphate control, there are many issues which are poorly understood when it comes to biological control of Po4, there is no doubt that in a balanced aquarium the No3 & Po4 levels can be controlled using No3Po4-X, a simple adjustment to the protein skimmer to produce a wetter skimate makes a massive difference to Po4 export

SenseiSays, I would like further information please on why you feel No3Po4-X did not work for you in regards to Phosphate control, there are many issues which are poorly understood when it comes to biological control of Po4, there is no doubt that in a balanced aquarium the No3 & Po4 levels can be controlled using No3Po4-X, a simple adjustment to the protein skimmer to produce a wetter skimate makes a massive difference to Po4 export

Hey Kev, my skimmer either overflows or just will get some dry foam at the top. My skimmer has never worked really well like others for some reason. As far as the phosphates go I've not fed for a week before and did a water change and still phosphates were up. I guess it's my skimmer then is what it sounds like. What should I do?

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
SenseiSays, Fine adjustment of your skimmer is very important as it does make a big difference, it is best to adjust before feeding as this is when your skimmer will be stable, you need to resolve the adjustment issue, check the air control valve and ensure its operation is correct, we can then look to address other issues.

Kev, sent you the email. As far as the skimmer, I had the collection cup replaced a bit ago because of the same issue. Do you think it could actually be the body and pump to it that's not working correctly? I have all my levels perfect in the chambers and have cleaned the pimp out, is it really noisy almost like a grinding sound?

Acanman

Theres a great thread in this forum about the skimmer and optimizing its performance. I noticed you mentioned your water levels were correct in all the chambers though. Thats usually the biggest and easily corrected issue i think. 3-4 lines from top worked best for me. Having an ATO was prolly the most crucial factor in my skimmers succes. If my water level ever rose or dropped the skimmer would start acting funky...