First Time Reefer - My Tanks Journey

StirCrayzy

Just caught up on this thread, it's weird that you still have milky water, have you tried vacuuming the sand? Not sure I saw what type of substrate you are using, but I assume it was rinsed well, before it was added.
What salt mix and water source are you using? The Magnesium content is unheard of.
The tank looks good, glad you are enjoying it.

Most of the milkiness has gone away now. It just seemed to vanish overnight.

Magnesium and Calcium are still high.

I am using Red Sea salt with RO water half of the time and premixed saltwater from my local trusted shop the other half.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Squatch XXL

Magnesium and Calcium are still high.
This is the first time I have seen this problem posted about lol. Most posts involve mag and calc being lower than needed. The only thing I can tell you to do about this is to get more corals. They apparently absorb dissolved minerals pretty readily.

After reading over, Your description of the Apex has made me long for one. I do not need to know temp swings of my tank over the day....but Darn it, I sure want to. I am a huge fan of simplicity, but after you called certain aspects of it a "Necessity" I have to look.

What happened with the mystery fry in your sump?

Thanks again for the great chronicle!

The mystery fry in my sump has made his way up into the main Tank! He is still VERY camera shy, but he is about 3 cm long now, translucent with an orange tint, and skittish as he'll.

This is the first time I have seen this problem posted about lol. Most posts involve mag and calc being lower than needed. The only thing I can tell you to do about this is to get more corals. They apparently absorb dissolved minerals pretty readily.

I know! It is a bizzare "problem" to have.

I have continued to test using the Red Sea Calcium Pro and Magnesium Pro kits, and I have even taken 3 samples to different LFS to confirm. They are definitely high.

I have kept adding coral, and it still doesn't seem to drop. I am baffled.

Squatch XXL

What brand/make/model of salt do you use? You have a "problem" that goes against all that we know about keeping reefs in glass cubes. Where do you source your water, and is it purified in any way?

mtsully71

If you find the Red Sea forums they will say that it might vary as the salt settles during shipment over time

This can especially be a problem with the 5 gallon buckets regardless of brand. Rolling them around before use can help redistribute the ingredients.

From Red Sea

Never mix salt in an aquarium containing animals Always use clean,
non-toxic utensils.
1. Prepare the quantities of salt and water for the
desired salinity according to the chart.
2. Use reverse osmosis (RO) water at approximately
20°C/68°F. Always add the salt to the water.
3. Mix vigorously (without aeration) for 0.5 - 2 hours,
until all of the salt is dissolved and pH has stabilized
to 8.2-8.4. DO NOT mix for more than 4 hours
4. Raise the water temp to 25°C/77°F and measure the s.g./
salinity with an accurate hydrometer/ refractometer. Add salt
or water as necessary to achieve the desired parameters.

Aquarium type S.G. at 25°C/77°F Salinity Dose
Fish, non-coral inverts 1.021 30.6 ppt 33.4 g/l (1.4 lb/5 US gal)
Soft/LPS corals 1.023 33.0 ppt 36.0 g/l (1.5 lb/5 US gal)
SPS/Giant clams 1.025 35.0 ppt 38.2 g/l (1.6 lb/5 US gal)

Recommended salinities for different aquarium types
Element levels at different salinities
Salinity pH Alk (°dKH) Ca (mg/l) Mg (mg/l) K (mg/l)
30.6 ppt 8.2 – 8.4 11.3 - 11.7 400 - 420 1185 - 1245 340 - 360
33.0 ppt 8.2 – 8.4 11.8 – 12.2 430 - 450 1280 - 1340 370 - 390
35.0 ppt 8.2 – 8.4 12.3 - 12.7 455 - 475 1360 - 1420 390 - 410
* All parameters are based on mixing at least 334 g / 12 oz of Coral Pro Salt
with RO water.

I agree with @Squatch XXL on checking salt mix etc. IMO RSS is a PITA to mess with. Good product? Very likley, but I am a mix a store guy. I believe RSS wants to be added to your tank within 12 hours of mixing.

I had been using Reef Crystals but I have switched to Tropic Marin in order to bring CA and Mg down a little.

Tank looks stellar too :thumbup:

The water I use is my local tap water, run through my RO system.

I alternate my own mixed salt water with premix salt water from the LFS, whom I do trust (I know most don't, but I do actually have a good one).

Just been doing some Christmas decorating. Thought I would share.

My Tank is visible when you walk in the front door of the house, so I found some of the festive decals (easy to remove, tested on a window first)

a5dcce2a2a6a44fa81dcf7959a0b073b.jpg

3b51354fa0d7117ec70e9e240267963a.jpg

914bf60081cbc88d20647352d8d1a522.jpg

Also wanted to introduce my newest inhabitant...

c5491a6f6d0f4d987a9be259a0da88b6.jpg

Oxylebius

I love when people get mystery fish in there tanks! It might be too young to ID yet. I will keep stopping by to see if you get a pic of it.

Just another update. Did some water tests today. I conducted each test 3 times, 1 hour apart.

I have not dosed ANY tank additives for the last 14 days. I have conducted a water change of 10% last Saturday with home mix RO water and Red Sea salts, and a 10% water change yesterday with LFS bought premix salt water.

Test kit Red Sea Pro Calcium

Test 1: used 0.98 ml = 490 ppm
Test 2: used 1.00 ml = 500 ppm
Test 3: used 0.98 ml = 490 ppm

Test kit Red Sea Pro Magnesium

Test 1: used 0.76 ml = 1520 ppm
Test 2: used 0.76 ml = 1520 ppm
Test 3: used 0.76 ml = 1520 ppm

Hmm. Ok. So reading and most of the ways to fix it involve injecting it with hypodermic needles of something. Do most people just keep those around the house?

soco

U can usually buy the syringe at a fish store or a pharmacy. There are alot of different ways to do it. Some things like aptasia x you don't inject it u cover the mouths with it like a paste. Others say you can inject lemon juice in the stalk. There are also electric shock probes you can buy which I hear are very effective. If u have a lfs u like go talk to then and they'll send u in he right direction.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

soco

Whatever you do tho be VERY careful. When they die if they get the chance they can/will spit out spores into ur water and will multiply as a defense mech.

soco

That will work but it is one of the ones you put over the mouth like a paste. Make sure u quickly cover the entire mouth area so it cant spray spore. Good luck!

I have just gotten back from the LFS and I am trying a 2 pronged attack.

Someone I trust at the shop recommended a syringe of hot lemon juice (so not far off Sully hot water) and I also saw a lovely Aptasia eating File fish who was just dying to come home with me.