First Time Reefer - My Tanks Journey

This thread may start out a little slow, as I have only just placed the order for my new tank and have been given a timescale of us to 4 weeks before it arrives.

Since I am a first time reef tank owner though, I thought that I might journal why and how I have gotten to where I am.

A bit of background. I am a 34 year old married male. I have 1 stepson who is 20 (from my wife's first marriage, and 1 grand-daughter who is just over a year old.

I was born in Louisiana in the USA, but moved to the UK to live in Wakefield 9 years ago as this is where my wife was raised. I have kept freshwater fish for about the last 4 years, although only in a very small (65 litre) tank.

I work in IT for a Global finance company, and recently annual bonus time hit. I told my wife that I wanted to get a larger fish tank, and after a couple weeks of coaxing, I got permission to have a larger tank in the living room, in addition to the freshwater tank in our bedroom. Convinced that things would go better if I could get my wife involved, I managed to talk her down to the Local Fish Store with me, as it is located on the same site as a garden centre she loves to visit.

We walked into the shop (which I frequent a lot for Fresh Water, but which my wife had not been into before.) While I was looking at the 150-200 litre tanks, thinking of which one I could convince my wife to allow me the space for, my wife came to a stop in front of a beautiful tank, much larger than anything I could have dreamed of considering. The tank was stocked with a miriad of stunning corals, and had a group of mandrinfish flitting from rock to rock. There was also a firefish glowing away near the glass at the front of the tank. My wife was speechless. I let her stare at the tank for about 10 minutes before coming back over to her. She asked "Could you do something like this in your new tank then?" At this point, I knew I had her hooked. I spent the next 20 minutes explaining the differences between fresh and salt water, and of course I was obliged to mention higher costs as well.... although I didn't mention any specifics. I also explained that the tank I had been looking at was definitely not big enough for something like what she was seeing.

The moment of truth, my wife looked at the tank, then looked around, then asked the magic question. "So which one of these WOULD be big enough then?" I knew I had her hooked, and better, yet, it was HER IDEA!

We settled on a beautiful 340 litre cabinet by a company called Aqua Oak. It comes "Systemised" as they call it, meaning that the sump and all of the plumbing are already built on delivery.

aqua1_zpsxy7z6ugz.jpg

Also on the shopping list, after a long talk with a friend of mine who works in the shop...

2x 300 Watt Heaters (which I believe can be placed in the sump
https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aquatropic-aqua-therm-300w-aquarium-heater

TMC Lumenair 900 Lighting
http://ultramarinemagazine.co.uk/products-services/tmc-v2-ilumenair-900-great-par-at-a-great-price/

Hydor Smartwave 5600 Kit
hydorsmartwave_zpsumt57lf9.jpg

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/hydor-koralia-5600-smart-wave-kit

Fluval Sea Cp 2 (return pump)
fluvalcp2_zpsmhyye261.jpg

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/fluval-sea-aquarium-circulation-pump-cp2-1600-lph

TMC V2 Skim Pro 450 Protein Skimmer
skimmer_zpshe8ql1ar.jpg

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/tmc-v-skim-pro-450-protein-skimmer

Bluemarine Reactor 120 with bio pearls
reactor_zpsc4yffxgl.jpg

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/blue-marine-reactor-120
https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aqua-marin-bio-pearls-500ml

I will also be receiving prepared salt water, live rock and live sand from the LFS, which will be arriving later than the equipment.

Last edited:
Ok... so, tank picked, "under the hood" items picked. Now, I have 4 weeks before it arrives. Time to look at what I want to DO with this tank.

CORALS

Corals were the main reason my wife fell in love with the tank in the store, so that has to be a priority for this tank as well.

After some browsing, I have picked out some recommended "Beginner" corals. I will go through my thoughts on each one, your results may differ.

Mushroom Coral - Easy to grow, easy to keep, bright colors. They sound nearly ideal. EXCEPT that I won't be including any of them. Why? Purely personal. I am severely HORRIBLY allergic to Mushrooms, and while yes, I know that these are not related to them at ALL, I can't even stand to look at them.

mushroomcoral_zpsjhfkivhs.jpg

Result = Not in my tank!

Leather Coral - Love these. The sound fairly easy to grow, and the fingers should produce some of the movement that both my wife and I want to see in the tank, which really is what set salt water apart from freshwater for us.

leather1_zpsv3vpdwu0.jpg
leather2_zps5cynzeuh.jpg

Result = Highly Likely

Button Polyps - Bright colors, able to be grown in a variety of light. These seem great. One down side though:
ALL of these corals contain a potent toxin called palytoxin that can cause serious illness or death if you get trace quantities on your lips, eyes, in a cut, or breathe it in. If you are going to touch the coral itself wear gloves, protect your eyes, and wash after touching them. Research this toxin for detailed information and safety instructions ahead of time!

Button%20Polyps_zpsoevuduyd.jpg

Result = Maybe LATER

Pulse Corals - From Tree like to web like, my wife even saw some she described as "candy floss". These look really good. They also sound like they are forgiving enough to be added early on to the tank.

Pulse%20Coral_zpsjn6tnj1n.jpg

Result = Likely

Star Polyps - The Local shop had some of these that look like a forest of waving grass, and it looks brilliant. They also sound to be very easy to grow. The only down side seems to be maybe they are TOO easy to grow, and can try to take over.

star%20polyps_zpssij1pecm.jpg

Result - Maybe

CLEAN UP CREW

Snails
- I know that I need a few types of snails for diversity. I am considering Ceriths for detritus and leftover food, Nerites for algae, and maybe eventually add a Fighting Conch just because they look amazing.

Crabs - I keep hearing praise for the Blue Legged Reef Crab, but I really don't like the idea that they could go after my snails.

Shrimp - Definitely going to have a few Cleaner Shrimp in the tank. They seem like a no brainer.

Starfish - I want a starfish! This inclusion has nothing to do with how good they are at cleaning (although I read they they are GREAT for your sand), but more to do with the fact that nothing says "The Sea" like a Starfish. He probably won't go in right away, but I will eventually add a Sand Sifting Star.

FISH
When we start talking fish, I know we are talking MONTHS away. Still, better to look early than late.

There are a few fish I really WANT to include for one reason or another, so I will start out by listing them, then continuing my research to make sure that they will work together.

Clown Fish - A must have I think. As I previously stated I have a little grand-daughter. She comes over, runs straight to stare into the tank and one of her first words was "Fishies". She loves the Film "Finding Nemo" so I think I have to have these for her. I am considering a pair of them.

Clownfish_zpslcngk31l.jpg

Foxface Lo - I love the look of these fish! So striking! It just jumped out at me in the shop. Definitely one I want to have. After doing some checking however, I have found that the Foxface might just get too big for my tank. Recommended 125 gallons or more, and I only have 75 gallons. Crushing, BUT, I did find a smaller version! The One Spot Foxface! Not quite what I wanted, but better for the fish.

Foxface_zps9oau8x31.jpg

One%20Spot%20Fox_zpsrupqiwxt.jpg

Fire Fish - This was one of the first fish to catch my wife's eye in the shop. Beautiful and different. Definitely a contender.

Firefish_zps8yk6iqfu.jpg

Cardinal Fish - This is a fish both my wife and I love the look of, but I am beginning to shy away from stocking it, the more I read about it. I am a bit worried that a pair of these might bully the other fish in the tank, and as such they probably won't make it in.

cardinal_zpsjnbztnty.jpg

Mandrin Fish
- This one I know I will have to wait for, but some day I want some. They are just mind blowingly beautiful.

mandrinfish_zps6aj18jpc.jpg

Last edited:
TIMELINE
We are currently at the end of May and I have just ordered my tank. I have been informed that it will be delivered in 1 to 4 weeks.

Because of this, I am setting my timeline to have my tank, and all equipment for it set up and running, with live rock, live sand, and water, by the end of June.

Obviously the next step is then subject to change, since I will need to watch the tank closely for a while, but I intend to give the tank until then end of July (4 weeks) to complete the cycle before anything else is introduced.

At the end of July / beginning of August, I plan on adding 1 or 2 corals, probably Leather Coral or Star Polyps, as well as a few snails and maybe crabs, the beginnings of a cleaning crew. I also plan at this time to seed my Fuge with a pod starter from my LFS, to get the population growing.

I go away on holiday for 2 weeks at the end of August, so I would be leaving my corals and cleaners to the care of my brother-in-law. I plan to install an auto-feeder for the tank and get him to top up every day as needed by the sump. I am away for 12 days. I am hoping that by doing a water change the day before I go and then then day that I get back I will be ok.

Once I return from holiday I plan on giving the tank a couple more weeks to make sure everything has remained stable. At the end of September I plan to add a 1-2 more coral, again probably Leather or Star Polyps, or maybe a Pulse Coral this time, a few more snails to boost the CUC, as well as my first FISH. I am thinking the first fish into the tank may well be a pair of clowns.

Last edited:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Welcome!

While I don't have time for full commentary I at least wanted to welcome you to RS!
I'll take a look tonight and try to give you some recommendations.

Plus 1 for the foxface Lo though!

Squatch XXL

I followed your other thread here, and I must say that the tank and stand looks sensational. There had been a comment on sump height. I think that a shorter sump will still leave you with great excess water volumes but still be able to have head room for a skimmer or other filters. However I don't know the overall design. I would inquire as to the measurements, and bring them back here for discussion. Everyone here has been quite knowledgeable and friendly. I am certain that most will be out measuring their sumps to their tank bottom and commenting on skimmers etc. I've altered initial plans on my tank as well based on logical and experienced opinions.....for the better.

I think it may be ambitious to think about a fully stocked reef within a month of setup....than going on holiday can be bad. I think it would be wise to think about stocking nothing more than a CUC at most by end of July. It may benefit you greatly in the long run of the life of the tank, and the well being of the livestock. It may be possible with having cured sand and rock, but it could swing the other way.

Last edited:

spiraling

It looks like you are off to a great start. Good easy choices to start with. I agree with Squatch that you will have a lot more piece of mind if you only have your CUC while you are on vacation. Then if everything still looks good start stocking corals later. My livestock choices change daily {doh} so take your time. Once you have them in its hard to change.

I'm glad you are doing your homework. The more I read, the less I know. My 2 cents (and I'm no expert):
1 - don't be too concerned about zoa poison - although some concern is good. When they are in the water and you are doing things in the tank my experience is they are harmless. But when I take them out for any treatment or quarantine, or especially when i frag them, I have safety glasses and gloves just to be sure. They are mostly hardy and come in a lot of colors
2 - clown fish are colorful, fun to watch , and really hardy. EVERY kid who comes to my house says 'hey! you found nemo!' :)
3 - With the pulse corals you have xenia which is hardy once established. Pulsing xenia is really cool. but like GSP it can take over quickly. I found with my gsp if I put it on a rock in the sand away from the main rocks I can trim it and keep it under control. And sell extra for some coral cash :)
4 - for starfish you can find little brittle stars that are about 1/2 inch, breed well, and are a great clean up crew. small but fun. There are also astrena stars that are small and good cleanup. I've seen mixed reviews but i like mine. larger starfish look great but they all have unique requirements so be sure to investigate them. But my oh my they are my favorites
5 - so are mandarins. I don't have a large enough tank but look at PaulB posts. He seems to have a ton of experience and has a nice dyi feeder that keep them happy and fat.

Post picts once you get it and happy reefing!

Not been much to update. My tank is scheduled to arrive in 3 weeks time. We are getting the floor in the room redone before it arrives.

I wanted to check that the support under the floor was enough to hold the tank, plus it has given me a great reason to get rid of a carpet I have hated for years! I have convinced my wife that a Wood effect vinyl floor.

Regarding the tank, I have decided to go with a mix of Live rock and the Arka rock linked above.

Adrienne

Love your stocking list. I have recently purchased a foxface 'lo'. Interestingly enough the book I referred to in the shop suggested a smaller tank was suficient so I may eventually either need to upgrade or onsell mine.
+1 to the 'Button polyps'. There are zoas and there are palys. Palys are the ones known to do the most damage and after my first fragging experience I tend to agree. Brown grow the fastest too. I love the zoas but have now restricted my palys to individual rocks where they can not take over the tank. You can always do that with any corals which have the reputation of spreading.
I have to admit I was surprised to see your stand on legs as over here it is considered that legs will not support a tank weight well and it is best to have the stand flush with the floor ie directly on the carpet or flooring. A number of reefers I know have gone under their houses and added bracing and piles.
Anyway, take your time. I was recommended to add one coral per week and one fish per month except for my clowns where I was told a pair was best.' This forum is great and the advice on here is excellent.
Can't wait to see your progress :)

I have been doing some research regarding some of the fish / inverts / corals that I will want to be putting in my tank. I thought posting the numbers here might prove to help someone else.

What I have done is set up a spreadsheet. Where there are multiple values separated by commas, I have found conflicting information on various resources.

Spreadsheet_zpsjvazfmdg.jpg

Looking at this I can see that the majority of what I want to keep comes from the indo-pacific, so it should be best to try to target my water conditions to that region.

I am thinking I will want a target temperature of 77 degrees Fahrenheit, dKH of 10, pH of 8.2, and sg of 1.024.

Last edited:

Oxylebius

Wow, lots of great research here. It is great to see. Not sure where to start my comments....

How do you plan to start your cycle, not sure if I saw that in all your posts (maybe I missed it). Some use chemicals from a bottle, others use chopped up deli shrimp, etc. What do you plan to do. Did you also pick up test kits for ammonia and nitrate. These two will help you determine how the cycling of the tank progresses. Some tank cycle really fast and others are slower, just be aware that it may not be exactly 4 weeks.

I think I missed the info on what rocks, sand or bare bottom you will have. Any thoughts/questions on that?

As for cuc and corals, for the most part these can be added before you head on vaca. Maybe hold off on some of the types of corals if they are lps and need to be feed. You mentioned a feeder while you are away. If you don't have any fish in the tank, I wouldn't set up an auto feeder. You don't want to cause water quality issues while you are away.

Good list of fish so far. The combo of these would work well enough. Agree to stay away from the mandarin for a while.

Regarding my tank cycle, I do not plan on using any chemicals at all. I will most likely go with the shrimp method, although I have also read a number of reviews of people feeding flake fish food into the tank, as its breakdown will start the cycle as well. (This was the original idea of the auto feeder, to add the tiniest amount of food every day to prime the tank).

When my tank delivery arrives it will include a full spectrum of test kits. I will also be installing 3 or perhaps 4 temperature probes (I like redundancy) and have picked up pH and TDS probes as well.

Regarding rock, I have decided on using the Arka Ceramic rock for my main formation, with some live rock both in the tank and in the sump to "seed" the Arka.

I will be using live sand for the tank bottom.

I am thinking that if I am getting good readings from the tank before I go on holiday I will add 2-3 soft corals and a small CUC.

I also think that before I go on holiday I may seed a course of live Pods into my Sump. I want to have them there as a future food source.

Last edited:

Desmond

You are really doing your research :) it will pay off for sure when you are up and running. Like the selection of fish :) Zoanthids are beautiful Corals. Yes they can be toxin but if you handle them properly and make sure to wash your hands there is no isses at all. I have several different types in my tank and make a great addition to any tank with there colours :)

Disaster! I have started checking over my new arrivals and the sump is cracked!

20150620_193455_zps8gomdqec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dgilbert2

You must be gutted about the sump, I'm sure they will soon replace it though.

Good to see someone else from the UK around ;)

As others have said, an impressive level of research going on :fish6: