First Marine Tank

Okay, I just put some more in because there really wasn't a lot of meat to rot. So I'll check my water parameters in 2-3 days and tell you guys how it is going.:whstlr::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::thumbup:

Update

Just checked again with the mussels again today. The ammonia is 2.0, the nitrates and nitrites are 0, PH is 8.0 and the salinity is 1.024, also the temperature is 78 F. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow for you guys

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Awesome.. ammonia going up.. your on your way.

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

Built347

Keep up with your water tests... I do every other day in the stage your in because I'm a nerd... but you will see ammonia peak. Then it will slowly fall.. you will start to see nitrites come way up. Then partially fall as nitrates come up.. when you have nothing left in the tank but nitrates its time for a waterchange.. then its ready... (( that's my process at least)).

Update 1-6-12

Tank003.jpg
Tank001.jpg
Tank002.jpg
Added some new live rock yesterday, the ammonia is 2.0 while the nitrites are 1.0 and the nitrates are 15, salinity=1.024

Update 1-11-12

Just done a test and the ammonia is 0, the nitrites are 1.0 and the nitrates are 10, salinity is coming in at 1.023 while the PH is 8.1:woohoo::bouncer:

ChrisY

good news. let the nitrogen cycle play itself out and I might want to raise the salinity a tad.

Have you had algae blooms yet?

I did add a little bit of salt yesterday to get the salinity up 10 1.025 and no I have not had algae blooms yet. Should have I already experienced one?

ChrisY

There will typically be several. diatom, cyano and then hair as things progress, but it will sort itself out in the end, its just a matter of getting the bioload to kickstart the aerobic and anerobic bacteria populations in the sunstrate etc and then letting things come to equalibrium. I dont recall did you add some LR or nitrobac or anything when you started the tank?

Chris

Built347

I don't know if it "has" to have an algae bloom or if a bloom is a sign that things are where they need to be but every tank I have cycled so far has had a large one/3.. especially brown algae.

Built347

All my water parameters are up to par, Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0, Nitrates=2.5, should I start adding fish now?

15 days is fast for a cycle IMO but if you have had an ammonia spike and watched the tank run through the cycle finishing with your nitrates at 2.5ppm. You are ready to add life.. go slow though.. just because your cycle is done doesn't mean your biofilter is rock solid yet.. it doesn't take much to send things spiraling downward in a new tank... but yes Congrats.. buy a fish!... next challenge is keeping those nitrates low..

StirCrayzy