First Marine Tank

I started with a 10 gallon tank yesterday with RO water in it from my filter. Added salt, substrate, and filtration, let it sit over night and here are the results (added a little bit of flake food to see how filter was working) Ammonia=.50, Nitrate=0, Nitrites=0, PH=8.0. Is this normal? Let me know. I will make sure to keep you guys updated. Thanks.

-Eric

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
CopyofDenverTank008.jpg

Looking good!

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

Built347

You paisted his pic on for him.. what a nice dude... hey!! Put a Shirt on guy!!.. lol nice tank.. your at my favorite step of them all.. empty tank.. with blank canvas..

You need to cycle your tank before it will be ready for life.. ammonia is the first step but it needs to get way higher than .5 parts.. a deli shrimp or a dead cat or something should do the trick.

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

dmatt88

That's how I roll....... haha

By looking at the pic I wonder how many tanks he has in a row?

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
What are your plans for this tan?

If your going nano reef I would toss in the live rock and let it all cycle at once.

Built347

+1/\
Looks like a lot Matt ... hey you said first tank not first 5 tanks

I am planning to have just a FOWLR tank with this one, start out east (not really). Also for the dead cat, I put in a mussel shell and fish food into the tank to raise the ammonia, going to go get live rock on Tuesday and it is going to hopefully be out of a fully cycled tank. First fish is going to be 18-20 days away.. Can't wait. Also for how many tanks behind it, none :) but I have a 29 gallon brackish water tank with 1 GSP in it and a 10 gallon with multiple fish in it. Aquariums are addictive...:bugout:

Built347

Just joking about the cat.. lol I guess your the only one that caught that... however you do it.. it needs to spike ammonia high then the cycle followes.
What kindof fish are you planning?

Built347

Checkout Woodstock's snocasso's before you buy clowns.. they are AWESOME looking. Wish I had some.

Holy Crap those are some cool looking clowns, already called the guy at the fish store and he said they get them in about every month... but they go really fast.. I told him next time you get some in reserve one for me, going down tomorrow to deposit the money, ( more than the fish because I want it to be healthy and bright, I think of it as giving a tip)

Built347

She sells them.. if I decide to put some clowns in my new tank when its done I want a pair of snocassos. I would order them from Woodstock tho. I'm sure there cheaper and she clearly breeds a healthy fish.

catran

Yes, just got 4 of her Picasso's.
http://store.donisreef.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I threw a mussel in there and let it sit overnight, and the ammonia still didn't rise any. What else would make the ammonia rise?

ChrisY

That might not be enough and it does take a bit ( of time) before it starts to rot and produce ammonia and then the bacteria population has to breed to get up to the bio load level and then the next cycle and then the next :)

Last edited:

ChrisY

no, not many. With my 130L (34g) tank I used one large deli shrimp and it took a couple days before he really started to break down and create ammonia. Cycling is something that just takes as long as it takes.