Firefish Goby-Help!

noon6

I just purchased a Firefish Goby for my reef. Within a couple of hours of his acclimation into my tank he was attacked by my female Percula Clownfish and now has lost part of his tail fin and a few nips out of his dorsal fin. My question is will it grow back? If so, how long does it take and is there anything I can do for him to speed the recovery if he does indeed live through it.
I am seriously thinking of removing my clown from my tank as it's very territorial towards anything I try to add to my tank.

Thanks for the help!

Steve

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about your fish attack! The good news is that the fins do grow back. This happened repeatedly to my royal gramma basslet when he got too pushy spacewise with my banggai cardinal and she would take a chomp out of his tail fin. It always grew back. You just want to make sure that your water parameters are great, and that no one else is picking on him. It took a couple weeks, but the tail looked as good as new. Just watch the fins for any signs of infection/parasites.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
So are my clowns... super peaceful, I can even put my hand in the tank next to their spawn of eggs

but I read post of aggressive ones too... my are Ocellaris clowns... like nemo :clownfish:

some like tomato clowns can be very aggressive...

Here is hoping your firefish gets better !

Oxylebius

Agree w/previous posts and I would emphasize:
1) making sure the water quality stays great - to help the fins heal and prevent infection from setting in
2) feeding well - to help the fish recover and preventing infection to set in
3) reducing stress, which may mean setting up a QT or pulling the clownfish out - to allow the fish to heal and prevent infection from setting in. A stressed fish is more susceptible to infection and disease.