Firefish food?

varden

Okay, I'm starting to get concerned about CF (short for Cussed Fish). A little background info: When I got my tank, the old owner said it came with 2 firefish along with a small assortment of soft corals, mushrooms, a purple tree looking thing that I can't remember the name of and a handful of snails and crabs. Before I even set up the tank, I caught everything living that I could get a hold of and drove 1.5 hours to my 'local' fish store and gave them all away (all but a few of the trees and two mushrooms which were attached to the live rock my husband wanted to keep). So then I get home, I set up the tank and add new sand so it could cycle and before the sand even fully settles to the bottom, what do I see swimming around in the tank but CF. Three times I tore the tank down in an effort to catch him, but sad though it is to admit, apparently I am NOT smarter than a three-inch fish.

Initially, I didn't like him and he didn't like me. He'd hide the minute I entered the room or moved and wouldn't come out until after I was gone again. But after a lot of glaring (on both our parts), we've kind of gotten used to one another. I hate to say it, but now I've almost grown attached to him. Certainly I feel that when I accepted the tank, I also accepted the responsibility of not just keeping CF alive but as healthy and happy as any person possibly can. My problem is that whenever I feed him, he darts around to catch the food but then spits it out again. I've done some reading and one site says these guys eat zooplanton, algae, prepared foods and vitamin-enriched brine shrimp. Another site says phytoplankton, copepods and meat flakes.

Well, the food that came with the tank are meat-based fish flakes and phytoplankton, but I've tried both these things and that's what he's spitting out. I've ordered both copepods and brine shrimp eggs, but I've also read that brine shrimp are a variety snack and do not a healthy diet make. So I really need to know what I should be feeding this guy. He acts like he's starving, but then he's a fish and they all act like that no matter how much you feed them. He's still alive so obviously he's eating something. Now and then I see him hunting and pecking along the rocks, so he might be eating algae. I don't know how long the other guy had him for, but I've had him now for over 1 month. I guess I want confirmation that either a) I should keep feeding him as I've been doing or b) I'm not doing this right and need to give him something better. And if the answer is B, then what better thing should I be feeding him?

Paragon

As the proud owner of two happy little gobies I agree on the shrimp and blood wurms.

Mine are pretty well aclimated, and it seems like there isn't much they won't eat. I don't ever feed flake, so I wouldn't recommend it. My LFS sells ice cube sized packs of shrimp seafood mix, and that's the primary food source I use.

Even though the cubes are small I'll use about 1/2 to a 1/3rd at a time for 3total small fish plus a large cuc. I feed the tank daily.

Regarding them acting like they are starving, my experience has been the firefins eat pretty ravenously once they find a desireable food source. This is likely true of most all healthy organisms. So as long as they get a good quality food source from you, and they for 2-5 minutes of consistent feeding I wouldn't be shocked that they act as though they won't continuously eat more.

Para

89Foxbody

Have you tried Spectrum New Life food? Comes in a bottle with a blue cover. I have both the marine size which is 1mm pellets and the small fish size which is .5mm pellets, and he devours both of them pretty quickly. I supplement with frozen foods a couple times a week. The Spectrum is a really nice food though.

chshwong

Just to to say that, I have a yellow watchman goby and a red firefish goby.

They both eat my OmegaOne flakes and i'm very happy about this :)

Once in a while, i'd feed frozen mysis and bloodworm. And they love it.

Furthermore, I got my firefish from a Chinese place, where they only feed seaweed to the firefish. I saw it with my own eyes. Then I know that this firefish can't be a picky one about food :)

JulesVane

I see frozen Bloodworms sold in many shops, but they all say "Freshwater". Are these the same Bloodworms you guys are feeding your Saltwater fish, or is there a difference?