Finally - the protein skimmer is done.

lgerold

Hello!

We decided to build a skimmer similar to Snailman's 4" counter-current protein skimmer. You can see his plans at: http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/diy4inskimmer.htm

Hubby, Mike, and I had some problems with the design, mostly with the fact that he uses glue to attach the body to the input and output PVCs, rather than actual fittings. We could just imagine one of our kids cranking on the skimmner, and causing a leak, so we designed our skimmer to use actual fittings whenever possible. It probably cost an extra 30 bucks, but the peace of mind is worth every penny. The total cost for this skimmer was about $85, without air pump or water pump.

I'll draw up some plans in the next day or two. These are photos of the skimmer, which I'll try to describe.

First, the entire system, set up in our mudroom, which happens to share the wall just behind the aquarium in the living room.

skimmer_corner.jpg

Next, a shot of just the skimmer. Overall, without the collection cup, the total height of the skimmer is about 5'.

skimmer_complete.jpg

Now, a close-ups of the base of the skimmer.
skimmer_close_bottom_half.jpg

You might wonder why in the world we used this odd fitting. The fitting was installed upside down by accident, but we think that the accident was good, because this way, it prevents air from building up in the fitting.

On the left side, the 4" PVC is reduced to 3/4" PVC, all with solid fittings, rather than by using glue. This is where the water flows OUT of the skimmer. Water travels out the left side of the fitting, up, and back to the sump. You can see that we have also installed a drain which we can use to easily drain the skimmer if necessary. On the vertical section of 3/4" PVC, we have installed a coupler (actually two) that is used to raise or lower the height of the water in the skimmer. The height of the water in the skimmer is controlled by the height of the top of this exit tube. From trial and error, we figured out that the top of this exit tube should be approximately at the height of the body of the skimmer. The coupler allows you to adjust this height by about 3".

Below is a tight close-up of the transional fittings from the 4" PVC fitting, to the 3/4" PVC fitting.
skimmer_outflow.jpg

And, we wanted to install a window to view the airstone in use, so we could monitor its condition, and alter the amount of airflow. The window is on the right side of the fitting, and is shown below.

First, a picture showing the window. We simply cut a hole in the PVC cap, and used Marine Goop to glue a sheet of acrylic to the PVC. This is the only glued item, and because this secion is not under any stress, it should never fail.

skimmer_window.jpg

Below is the window in use. It's not at all necessary to use a flashlight as long as the light is on in the room.
skimmer_window_operational.jpg

Now, moving to the top of the skimmer, here's a shot of the top half of the skimmer.
skimmer_close_top_half.jpg

At the top of the skimmer, you see a Y shaped fitting. This section reduces the 4" body, to a 2" Y, and down to a 1/2" barbed fitting for the hose to the Mag 3 in the sump. Below is a tight close-up of that junction:
skimmer_intake_2.jpg

Remember one thing - the diameter of the line INTO the skimmer must be smaller than the diameter of the line OUT OF the skimmer, to prevent a flood. In our case, we used 1/2" flexible tubing INTO the skimmer, and 3/4" PVC and flexible tubing out of the skimmer.

Behind the input fitting, you can see the top of the 3/4" PVC line used to control the height of the water in the skimmer. We used a T fitting in the 3/4" line - the top side of the T leads to a cap with a small hole to prevent a siphon from developing. The bottom end of the T leads to a fitting taking you from 3/4" PVC to a 3/4" barb. Then, 3/4" flex tubing runs back to the sump.

At the top of the skimmer body, we used two flexible rubber reducing couplings, one for the top of the body, and the second for the base of the collection chamber. A short 2" diameter piece of PVC runs from the bottom rubber coupling to the top rubber coupling, and 1" beyond the bottom of the coupling, to create a reservoir for skimmate. The collection chamber is simply a piece of 4" tubing. The bubbles go from the main body of the skimmer, up the 2" PVC, into the collection chamber. We drilled a hole through the rubber bottom of the collection chamber, and inserted a 3/8" barbed connector. One end of the connector goes into the rubber coupling, and the other goes to a piece of 3/8" flexible hose which leads to a 5 gallon bucket.

An airline hose runs from the airpump, through a tight hole drilled into the rubber reducer at the top of the skimmer body, through a 1/2" PVC tube, to the basswood "airstone" at the bottom of the skimmer. We used the 1/2" PVC just to keep the airstone at the bottom of the skimmer. Without it, the airstone would just float to the top.

top_of_skimmer.jpg

airline.jpg

We built our own "airstone" out of a black of basswood. We cut square slabs of basswood, 2 1/2" square, 5/8" thick. Two of the pieces were cut across the grain, the third was cut with the grain. We soaked the three pieces overnight in freshwater. We then drilled a 2" hole in the center of the piece that was cut with the grain. We then made a sandwich of the three pieces, with the piece with the hole in the center. We used medium viscosity cyano glue to glue each piece of the sandwich together, and used thick viscosity glue (and accelerator) to caulk each of the joints. This glue can be purchased from hobby shops that cater to model airplanes. We drilled a hole the size of an airline connector, thorough the end of the center piece of basswood, into the hole in the sandwich. The air passes through the tube, into the center of the basswood block, and out through the pores of the stone. It was really simple! Only one stone is necessary, since the basswood creates a huge amount of very fine bubbles. It's supposed to be better than commercially produced stones. Below in the picture, the lines show the direction of the grain of the wood.

basswood_stone.jpg

Below, is 36 hours of collection. It's working great!

skimmate_36_hours.jpg

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
BRAVO!!!!! that is excellent! best creative use of plumbing supplies ever!! and that looks like really good skimmate, happy skimming lol. Steve

lgerold

One of our concerns about making a skimmer using an airstone to produce the bubbles, is that routine replacement of the airstones is needed.

Sasquatch gave me the idea of making a box to enclose the airpump, to prevent dust from going through the airpump into the airstone. This should really reduce the need to replace the airstone.

We used a clear plastic box, a hepa filter, and more filter material, to make a box that should reduce or eliminate all dust that could enter the airpump.

Photos below:

We used 3M's Filtrete material, and a Hepa Filter cartridge.
hepa_filter_material.jpg

We drilled holes through the lid, inside the dimensions of the Hepa filter:
air_filter_box_lid.jpg

We siliconed the hepa cartridge onto the outside of the lid, and siliconed around the airline, and electrical cord. We had to cut the cord, run the cord through a drilled hole, and then repair the cord. We siliconed around the electrical cord through. Works like a charm! We could have used a smaller box.

air_filter_box_operational.jpg

We did purchase a new air pump for the skimmer, a Coralife Airluft pump. Works great!

rDr4g0n

wow... im gonna need to read this post about 20 times lol. very imformative, excellent photo composition (theyre functional and well shot). this will definatly be an important part of my research into creating my own skimmer!

can someone explain to me how the compression coupling is used to set the water height in the skimmer?

lgerold

The compression coupling encases the cut ends of the PVC. If you loosen the compression fitting, you can slide the PVC up inside the coupling, lengthening the PVC. It gives you about 3" of play.

When we first built the skimmer, we didn't make the return line tall enough, and the foam was too dry. We added a second coupler, which solved the problem.

Dragon Wrasse

Igerold, it looks like you used one of those "ball valves" with the flat bottom, I used a couple of those on my softy tank, the problem I am seeing after almost two years of installation, is that they stick and leak from the top of the valve, I am in the process of replacing them with the "Ball valves" that are compleatly round, just thought I'd give you a heads up...somthing to watch out for....a gate valve made of PVC would be the best, but I am unable to find any in my area, they are all made of brass.

lgerold

Thanks for the note about the valve!

This was a really easy project. Daunting at first, since we've never done anything like it. But, once we understood the theory behind how the PS works, it was easy to make changes, and easy to put together. The hardest part of the whole thing was the fact that Menards was 40 minutes away. It was such a drag to discover that we needed a some little fitting...

rDr4g0n

home depot is about 5 minutes from my house :)

after reading this and the original plans like 10 times i think i have a good grasp of how it functions. i cant wait to get working on mine!

MatesonG

Awesome thread this really helped!! so i just finished building a counter current skimmer using 3" PVC and i have a whisper 300 air pump.

The air-stone I am using is a regular stone for just putting oxygen in tanks so i do plan on upgrading soon.

I'm not getting the skimmate that i think i should be so i needed some other opinions. the bubbles are occasionally spilling into the collection cup but not really.

So let me know what you think i should do. I have already raised my coupling so that it is closer to the top but still i am not getting the skimmate i want.

HELP PLEASE :)

DaveK

One of our concerns about making a skimmer using an airstone to produce the bubbles, is that routine replacement of the airstones is needed.

Sasquatch gave me the idea of making a box to enclose the airpump, to prevent dust from going through the airpump into the airstone. This should really reduce the need to replace the airstone.

We used a clear plastic box, a hepa filter, and more filter material, to make a box that should reduce or eliminate all dust that could enter the airpump.

We did purchase a new air pump for the skimmer, a Coralife Airluft pump. Works great!

When you use wood airstones, the problem is not dust getting into them. Most airpumps, including the Coralife Airluft have good air filters built into them. BTW, the Coralife Airluft pump is an excellent choice for a skimmer.

The problem comes from two areas. First since your using it in SW, you will tend to get salt buildup inside the airstone. This is more common with conventional airstones, rather than wood, but it still happens. This cause the airstone to clog and require replacement.

The other problem is that wood airstones will in time simply rot out out you. A conventional wood airstone (1 x 1 x 2 inches) lasts about 2 - 3 months. Yours is much larger so it may last longer.

Bottom line is that you'll always need a supply of airstones available. I recommend you make up a batch of them. The good part is that nothing produces as fine bubbles at such a low air pressure.

While we are on the subject, the use of ozone will cause a wood airstone to rot out very fast, often in a couple of weeks.

In time, you may get tired of replacing airstones, and at that point your skimmer should be easy to convert to a recirculating skimmer, using either a venturi or special skimmer pump.

Rhodes19

Nice build. I am getting to the point in my build that I need to start thinking about skimmers and this was one of the first ones I looked at. Nice job.