Finally getting a RSM!

chflee

Hi everyone!

I'm a looooooooooong time lurker and have wanted a RSM since it first came out. I was in the hobby during the dark ages of under gravel and canister filters. Work, marriage, kids have all stopped me getting back in until now. I am semi-retiring from the day to day restaurant business after 20 years.

I am in the process of getting a used RSM 250 this weekend. I have read lots of threads and the unit i'm buying is stock. I hope to not have to get a chiller, but I am already assuming I will have to. After that all I really want to add is an ATO and in the future LED upgrades and dosers down the road.

I will post my adventure as I go and I am hoping for lots of input from all of you. Thanks in advance.

Lee

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members :nessie:

Look forward to seeing your new tank, we love pics

chflee

I hope to post more often, I promise!!!

Things so far……..

Bought my used RSM 250 from a lovely woman in Southern Maryland on Craigslist. It was never really used and only had water, sand and dead rock in it for 2 weeks she said. She is Military and had just bought the tank and set it up when she found out she was being transferred from California to Maryland. It sat in her garage for 6 months when she again found out she was being transferred to Florida. Not wanting to move it again she sold it to me. So, I guess what I am saying is that my tank was never really ever going and had never cycled.

Day 1—Deep cleaned the tank with fresh water, removed all components, cleaned and replaced. Tried to make Ro/Di water. Found I had to replace the Di cartridge and one of the canisters due to a crack.

Day 2—Put in Live sand, both dead and live rock, Nature’s ocean seawater, RO/DI saltwater I made (I’m on well water btw). Turned everything on only to find out pump #1 and pump #2 did not work. Took them apart to find that both impellers had swelled and cracked. Ordered 3 replacement impellers (even the one that worked in the skimmer pump). Kept skimmer pump on, no air, lights off.

Day 3—Water test: Water temp: 78 degrees; Salinity: 1.28 d SG; PH: 7.8; Alkalinity: 9 dKH; Calcium: 520 ppm; Ammonia: 0.0 mg/l; Nitrite: 0.0 mg/l; Nitrate: 160 ppm; Phosphate: 0.0 ppm.

Day 4,5,6,7,8—Kept lights off all day and night. Did not test water (in hindsight that was a mistake). Day 8: Repaired Ro/Di to working order and made 15 gallons of water. Mixed with salt and let sit overnight.

Day 9—Removed about 5# of dead rock because I didn’t like the way it looked. Used baster to clean off rest of rock. Water Change. 12 gallons out, 12 + gallons in. Hydor Koralia fell while adding water and blew sand EVERYWHERE. Water was cloudy all day and night.

Day 10 (Today July 21)— Some brown algae on sand and on some rocks starting to form.

Water test: Water temp: 78 degrees; Salinity: 1.26 d SG; PH: 8.0; Alkalinity: 9 dKH; Calcium: 520 ppm; Ammonia: 0.0 mg/l; Nitrite: 0.0 mg/l; Nitrate: 80 ppm; Phosphate: 0.0 ppm.

Please feel free to give advice, I am back in the hobby after 15 years and I am old enough to listen to those who have been there before!

Thanks, Lee

20160721_154501.jpg

chflee

Oxy,

I tried the shrimp method, after a week, nothing (no spikes), so I removed the shrimp. Bought a Green Chromis, Yellow Tail Damsel and a 3 Stripe Damsel and let them go to work. They are doing well, eating fine. After a week or so I got lots of Daitoms.

Things were going well, then I did a water change and a week later my skimmer pump went down. I did not notice for 2 days and GHA started to appear. So I ordered the replacement pump and a CUC. took 4 days to get the replacement. I turned the lights off so the GHA would not get out of control.

I replaced the skimmer pump, added the CUC and did a 20% water change. That was August 4th. The skimmer is still breaking in somewhat, I am cleaning out the cup and fine tuning every day.

I am doing another 20% water change thsi weekend and I will do a full water test and post some new pics. I am looking forward for a few weeks of just normal activity to get hings normalized.