Filtration System

mfregosi

Okay, after reading a few posts I have more questions. When we bought our system it included a wet/dry filter. We are doing a reef setup. Again tank size is 135g. What is recommended? Do we need something different?

Thank you!
Micki

reef dummy

No you don't need something different. How big is the wet/dry rated for? I would suggest the following; get rid of any bio-balls in the wet/dry first and foremost, add some live rock and chaetomorpha macroalgae which will keep your nitrates in check. This is what I did to my wet/dry and it has worked like a charm for over a year now.

mfregosi

I have no idea how big the wet/dry is rated for. I will have to at least see if I can get dimensions and have you all help me with that! So, get rid of the bio-balls and put in live rock - how much live rock? And chaetomorpha macroalgae - how much? Do I keep the filter on top?

reef dummy

Just a few small pieces of live rock will do, for the chaeto just a sandwich bag full will do to start, put a lamp over it and it will grow like crazy. I will post pics of mine when I get home so you can see what I did. It's really very simple but extremely effective.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I am against adding Live Rock unless you add some type of "Sock/Filter" to catch detritus. Otherwise it goes into the Live Rock's nooks & crannies and you're not better off than you started. The drawback is the filter sock has to be cleaned/changed so often.

reef dummy

Here is the pic I promised of my ghetto but very capable refugium.

004-1.jpg