Filtration: Sump vs. Wet/Ddry

Talon33

Hey Everyone. I have a question as far filtration goes. I bought a Wet/Dry filter with my 125 gallon tank. I am going to do a FOWLR tank. Now I was just wondering if i should use the wet/dry filter that I already have or would i be better off building a sump, lets say out of a old 55 gallon tank?
Advice is much appreciated! Thank you!
:eek:lsmile:

Brooksy

I had the same dilemma not too long ago when I started my 120g. The advice I got was that the problem with a wet/dry is the Bio Balls can become bacteria traps. I went with a DIY sump and have never regretted it.

Talon33

Thanks for the advice! And yes i have heard the bio balls can harbor some unpleasant bacteria but i just wanted to get some advice from more experienced fish keepers. DIY sump should be simple with multiple benefits. thanks!

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Wet dry's are an old technology for SW. If you want to use it, just take out the Bioballs, and replace that with ruble live rock, or sand bed w/ chaeto(lights required). No need to scrap it and start over unless you just Want a bigger sump. Im building a custome stand for my 125 so i can house a 55g under it. Plan to include an algae scrubber as well as a refugium.

Talon33

Thanks! My wet/dry filter only holds around 8-10 gallons so i think i will just build a sump to store other equipment. Also if return pump fails and sump overflows.

Talon33

One more question! I have a guy offering me a 30 gallon (3ft) sump with the compartments already pre-built, skimmer, refuge, return sections for $20, but he says the return section is small so i would need an auto top off system. Is this something I should get? Is an auto top off system necessary?

StirCrayzy

Id grab it for $30. For comparison, i just built a 20g sump and the cost was about $60.

Its a good starting point, you may be able to cut the silicone and move baffles around.
If its acrylic, modification is more difficult, if not impossible.