Filtration for a RedSea Max 130?

gbose

I'm just starting out in saltwater (have been doing fresh water for about a year), and just got a RSM130. It comes with a built-in skimmer and filtration system, equipped with a coarse sponge mechanical filter, as well as carbon for chemical and biomax rings for bio-filtration. I've got all the filter media in and am waiting for the tank to finish cycling with liverock and live sand.

Now I read that biological filters can act as a 'nitrate factory' and I do already have a nitrate problem. Should I be removing some of the filter? If so, should I replace it with something else? I've heard about Seachem Matrix as well a liverock fragments, and Purigen (sp?).....and then there are de-nitrifiers....?

Please advise. Thanks!

GB

artpics

yep you are correct most people remove the bag of ceramics and rely on the live rock to do the bio-load.
i would suggest to control nitrates just do regular water changes and replace the stock carbon with some chemi pure elite.
mine has been running like this without a hiccup fingers x

sig.php

gbose

Artpics,

I am sure you're right --- but I'm still uneasy at the thought of a tank with no filtration :). Do you recommend just removing the biomax ceramics? Or would it be OK to replace it with liverock fragments or Purigen or Chemipure (not sure what the difference is between them?)

GB

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
good advise ^

the bio-noodles trap a lot of debris, you need to remove them or pull them about twice a month when doing water changes and take them to the sink & run warm tap water over them rinsing them clean - I ran my 130D a year like this before removing them & adding a COD rack (see post 930) http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/44439-glenns-rsm-130d-62.html#post782512

I used them not a bio-filtration (your LR in your display tank does this) but to raise my chemical filtration up for better flow (before my $5 COD rack was developed) for chemical filtration I run cpe & purigen

In the back of you RSM you want good flow & nothing to trap debris - hope this helps - if you run them, rinse them clean every two weeks or better, remove them & build a cod rack.

Pool Man

The RedSea Max is a great tank. However the stock filtration is less than desirable, but easily modified. The RedSea Max forum here, has just about every type of successful mod you can do to one, including filtration. Plus the members there are great! Always willing to help. Do a "search" and see what comes up!

gbose

The RedSea Max is a great tank. However the stock filtration is less than desirable, but easily modified. The RedSea Max forum here, has just about every type of successful mod you can do to one, including filtration. Plus the members there are great! Always willing to help. Do a "search" and see what comes up!

Thanks, guys! I'll get rid of my bio-filter next time I open up my COD. What do you think of replacing it with:

• A bag of crushed live rock?
  • Purigen?
  • Chemipure?
GB