Filter socks

Has anyone ever ordered filter socks from filterbag.com? They sell the 4" 100 micron sock for 2.76 each. Minimum purchase of 25. We currently use 200 micron socks. Is 100 micron going to clog up to quickly?

carmexx

I would think the 100 micron will last longer as it will let more pass whereas the 200 micron is finer. I think that's right.

David Shaw

It's the other way around. I use a 50 micron one and have to change it frequently, less so with the 100. The 50 polishes the water better imo.

frisbee

I don't use filter socks on a regular basis, but when I do need to polish the water, I just hook up one of my Hanes gym socks in the sump. Perfect! ;)

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
:bigbounce Not to hijack the thread... but how often do you clean your socks and how do you clean them?

I change the sock as needed. Usually every 2-3 days. I just throw them in an old salt bucket until I'm ready to clean a bunch. Then I take them outside. Turn them inside out. Spray them off with a high pressure nozzle until they are white again. Reverse them and spray again. Then I wrong them out and put them in a soak of ROdi and chloramine,chlorine, and phosphate remover for a few hours. Then I ring them out again and let them hang to dry completely. Can take a few days to completely dry sometimes. Before I put a new one in a rinse it with ROdi again and replace. I spend about 25 minutes every two weeks cleaning them. My nitrates have dropped since I started using the socks over the mechanicals filter that came with the Red Sea 650.

Matt