filter pad and media rack question

AG1

Hi guys !

My question is ; when you put a filter pad etc... on to the top self of the media rack , do you completely cover the self with the filter pad or use a smaller piece to have water flow over and around it to avoid flow restriction?

A guy from a LFS told me to use a smaller piece to avoid flow restriction and I wonder if this is a good idea because detrius can pass around the filter pad in that way.

Thanks,

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I always fully covered the shelf area. As you said, some detritis will get past a smaller pad, and to me the purpose of the fine filter is to get rid of all of the fine particles. You can use a smaller piece and catch less, or you can use a larger piece and catch more (but have to rinse/replace it more often to keep the flow up in the back).

AG1

I always fully covered the shelf area. As you said, some detritis will get past a smaller pad, and to me the purpose of the fine filter is to get rid of all of the fine particles. You can use a smaller piece and catch less, or you can use a larger piece and catch more (but have to rinse/replace it more often to keep the flow up in the back).

Thanks Reefmack , I rinse the filter pads daily but can not avoid the restriction even though I removed the purigen and chemi-pure from the rack.I use blue sponge like the RSM 's black sponge and that is the only way to stop restriction works for me.When I use blue - white bonded filter pad it gets clog just after an hour or so..

TonyV

I change my filter about every two days. I use filter floss. I am not sure what is available in your part of the globe but you can usually find it at sewing/craft stores. Check Walmart if Turkey has a Walmart. Just make sure it is not treated with chemicals or has any perfumes. It's very cheap and tossing it is easier than rinsing them. I get about 12 square feet for about $5 USD and I can make dozens of pads. I also cover the entire top of the media rack.

Your pads must be filling up and clogging quickly because of a few reasons...
A. Your filter media is really fine which catches everything. This is a good thing, but it requires a lot of maintenance.
B. Your tank has a lot of floating debris. Is your tank fairly new? I complained for about 3 months after setting up my tank because of the particles floating in the tank. These can come from the sand/rock as the finer particles are siphoned out of the tank. Give it some time and don't over feed.

AG1

Thanks TonyV - my tank is old nearly about 1,5 years less or more.... I see lots of floating particles all the time as you mentioned.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
AG1 - still running the original black sponge? If so cutting that in half will improve flow.

AG1

AG1 - still running the original black sponge? If so cutting that in half will improve flow.

No , I use blue sponge similar to the original black sponge and it is already the same size of the half of the old black sponge.I still keep the black ponge but do not use it because it has a cut on the edge so the ditrius can pass through that place.

For example when I use this;

Blue Bonded Filter Pads

it clogs just after an hour or two and after that my ATO system pumps water and the water level in the display tank keeps increasing.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
AG1 - that is the same type pad used by most of us. If I understand you correctly you are also running a sponge under the blue bonded filter pad? If that's the case, and you are using the media rack, you can remove the sponge and just use the blue bonded pad. That would help the flow.

AG1

AG1 - that is the same type pad used by most of us. If I understand you correctly you are also running a sponge under the blue bonded filter pad? If that's the case, and you are using the media rack, you can remove the sponge and just use the blue bonded pad. That would help the flow.

Thanks reefmack - I just use the blue sponge right now but I also tried the blue bonded filter pad before.I did not use them together , just 1 layer of blue bonded filter pad.But even 1 layer was blocking the flow.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks reefmack - I just use the blue sponge right now but I also tried the blue bonded filter pad before.I did not use them together , just 1 layer of blue bonded filter pad.But even 1 layer was blocking the flow.

Ok that. It's hard to imagine a pad plugging up in an hour, unless you have that much sediment floating around?

AG1

Ok that. It's hard to imagine a pad plugging up in an hour, unless you have that much sediment floating around?

Yes, I see lots of things floating around but they are not micro bubbles.I am not sure what the problem is maybe the fine sand is causing that sediments ...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yes, I see lots of things floating around but they are not micro bubbles.I am not sure what the problem is maybe the fine sand is causing that sediments ...

That could be - hopefully everything will settle with some time, and the filter won't plug up so quickly!

StevieT

RS Sponsor
When was the last time you cleaned your rear chamber?

If you have that much detritus floating around clean the chamber out, then run the filter floss. As it clogs up replace it. Over time your water will become more clean and you can run the floss loger without changing.

Run floss only, don't use a sponge.

AG1

When was the last time you cleaned your rear chamber?

If you have that much detritus floating around clean the chamber out, then run the filter floss. As it clogs up replace it. Over time your water will become more clean and you can run the floss loger without changing.

Run floss only, don't use a sponge.

I cleaned the rear chamber maybe 2-3 months ago but I could not clean it totally so it is still very dirty.I will clean it according to your advice.Hope that it will solve the problem.Thanks alot for the comments..

redsea reefer

AG1 - When I clean my rear chambers this is what I do. I have a long acrylic stick that I rubber band together with a hose, that way I can see where Im cleaning and have better control on where Im siphoning rather sticking my arm down there and cleaning blind.

AG1

AG1 - When I clean my rear chambers this is what I do. I have a long acrylic stick that I rubber band together with a hose, that way I can see where Im cleaning and have better control on where Im siphoning rather sticking my arm down there and cleaning blind.

Hi Redsea Reefer , thanks for your kind help.I have a long plastic siphon but the problem is it can not siphon all the ditrius.It siphons too much water and less ditrius.So when I try to clean the rear chamber , even for a very small amount of ditrius I should siphon too much water:)I will try your suggestion and see if hose will siphon the ditrius better then what I have.

redsea reefer

Hi Redsea Reefer , thanks for your kind help.I have a long plastic siphon but the problem is it can not siphon all the ditrius.It siphons too much water and less ditrius.So when I try to clean the rear chamber , even for a very small amount of ditrius I should siphon too much water:)I will try your suggestion and see if hose will siphon the ditrius better then what I have.

Hi AG1 and your welcome.

You can get a small diameter hose so it won't suck out the water so fast. What size hose are you using to siphon?