Fighting algae with bacteria - Test

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Your tank appears to be quite young, so algae will be an issue. Yes adding a CUC will help, but no it wont solve the problem. Nutrients are indeed the source of the problem. Solving a problem like algae requires a multi pronged attack.

increase nutrient export/processing. IE - add more live rock, rock rubble to the sump, skimmer, algae refugium, ATS, and some like vodka dosing. nitrate/phosphate are fertilizer. Algae needs it, soft corals need it, anemone's need it. Algae is a plant. It requires food, light and good water chemistry. Reef tanks provide an abondance of each. Plants love ammonia, they love nitrite and nitrate. Increasing the nitrogen breakdown process with bacteria wont eliminate algae, it just changes the food into a less likeable and less toxic form. You can starve algae of light, but starving it of food is tough but doable. Keeping low nutrients will SLOW the algae growth, but it wont reverse or permanantly rid your system of algae. Why? Fish/corals are constantly producing ammonia through resperation and digestion. Algae also requires CO2, which fish produce. Removing this CO2 is another fork in the battle against algae. Turf scrubbers, Skimers, and Algae Refugiums address this issue by exchanging the CO2 for O2 either through exposusre to air, or consumption during resperation(algae). Algae eating animals such as snails/crabs address the other end of the problem. Once algae starts, the nutrients are trapped. Simply scraping off the algae releases these nutrients. Ive seen tanks Overrun with GHA that showed 0 nitrate/phos. Rocks and even silicone can absorb and leach nitrate/phos. Algae eating animals consume the algae, which saves time scraping. Our ultimate goal is a pretty tank with minimal effort. CUC members that eat algae are road to a solution, but in and of themselves wont solve the problem either.

Forgive the ramble, i didnt sleep well last night. My point is, addressing any ONE part of the (beautiful tank)equation while ignoring one or more others will end up causing wasted time, frustration, and aggrovation. I've known people to tear down their systems because they didnt have the patience/knowledge to address algae. its a PITA no doubt.

Algae gone solution:

1)adequate nitrofying bacteria to process waste quickly(pics indicate you may need more Rock. Adding well rinsed dry rock to an established tank wont harm a thing)
2)adequate nutrient export(usually more than one. Overkill is underrated) - skimmers, scrubbers, algae refugium
3)Proper cuc to clean up waste and eat algae that manages to start.
4)water changes. Any aquarium, regardless of being FW or SW becomes a SEWER over time. Flushing the junk out is sometime needed. No known nutrient export system is quite as efficient as a bucket and hose.
5)PATIENCE - the search for quick solutions, ends in rapid changes to water chemistry. THATS NEVER good on the tank inhabitants or the tank owner.

Forgive me if i struck any nerves, that wasnt my intention.

ReefingFun

What you summed up is exactly what the RS program is about. Minus the CuC.

The tank is young, but actually already to "old" for the program. You can start at any given point, but for the best results, the program is best started when you first set up your tank. It introduces the bacteria and speeds up their growth. Only thing you need is good husbandry and a decent skimmer.

Cheers for summing it all up!

ReefingFun

Got twice Day 8, the one from 06/08/13 should be Day 9, sorry!

Day 10 - 07/08/13

Dosages:

- Added 7.5ml NO3:pO4-X

Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 16
pH: 8.1
Ca: 480
Mg: 1400
Alk: 8.5

Just scrapped off the dead algae of the window and sucked them out a bit with a hose. Added about a bucket of saltwater to fill it up again (10l).

Day 11 - 08/08/13

Dosages:

- Addded 7.5ml of NO3:pO4-X

Parameters:

Nitrite: 0.1 (about an hour after dosing) - 0.0 (8h after dosing)
Nitrate: 16
pH: 8.0-8.1
Alk: 8.5

So far all is going fine, fairly happy with the result so far. Only thing bothering me is the spikes in nitrite straight after dosing. It's turned into nitrate at a really fast rate, but still I'm a tad concerned about the fish with these spikes.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
How come the nitrate is not moving down. It should have at least dropped a bit.

ReefingFun

How come the nitrate is not moving down. It should have at least dropped a bit.

I believe it's a tad too early for that. It's been 11 days so far and as someone said before, I do have little LR in my tank. It probably will take a bit longer than tanks who fully stocked with LR. This is just a guess though, so correct me if I'm wrong :>
Also according to the RS program, you start noticing the difference after 14 days in. I'll just have to wait and see!

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ah ok. It is still a faster program than the Prodibio which took 6 weeks to reach 0.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
For my 80 gal I started it about a month after setup. For my pico, its right frm the beginning, however I am modifying my dosing a bit for the pico as I don't really want a ULNS since its mostly zoas and lps. Gonna keep the nitrates at around 10-20ppm and phosphates around 0.25

ReefingFun

For my 80 gal I started it about a month after setup. For my pico, its right frm the beginning, however I am modifying my dosing a bit for the pico as I don't really want a ULNS since its mostly zoas and lps. Gonna keep the nitrates at around 10-20ppm and phosphates around 0.25

How did that turn out for your 80 gal? It's been at ULNS since?

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Yes my 80 gal is ulns, so I'm just maintaining it now with biweekly dosing and I can do heavy feeding daily :)

ReefingFun

Hello everyone!

First off, I want to say hi again to everyone! It's really nice to be able to browse the forum again and ask for advice or assist with any :)
Secondly, I wanna apologize for not updating this topic as I promised. Allow me to explain what happened.

Shortly after my last post here, I was in a fairly severe accident. A drunk driver drove into my side with a way to high speed and ye... I was hospitalized for a couple of months, slipping in and out of a coma till they decided to just keep me under for a while. I was able to go home around 2 weeks ago now, but till yesterday I did not have the energy yet to do anything about my miserable state aquarium. I came home to the following:

[video=youtube_share;OE5vBj4MDUY]http://youtu.be/OE5vBj4MDUY[/video]

I will manually remove or try to remove most of the algae, while doing a 50% WC. Then put in a new bag of Rowa Phos and change some of the tubing. My pumps and other materials that were totally covered are in a hot bath with vinegar for 24h and then they'll get a good scrub.
Hopefully with good husbandry and some changes I'll be able to get this tank clean again.

I will also pick up the RS NO4-X dosing again and start from scratch, so the topic will still be able to serve as an example of the product. Specially if it contributes in getting the tank clean again.

Once again, sorry for the huge delay and it feels good to be back on here again! :)

I will ofc will keep you guys updated with pics and videos.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The important thing is you are ok, very glad to hear that. Looking forward to seeing this comeback, for you and the tank!!

ReefingFun

Wow, sorry about your accident. Are you going to make a full recovery? Sounds terrible.

Well more or less... I can't continue playing tennis, nor cycling or any intensive sports. I can function completely normal in daily life. Though I lost my job and need to completely start studying something else again to find decent work.
Perhaps this is the chance to get more into zoology like my grandma. Always found it interesting and I like the traveling she does so... Perhaps a positive side :)

@goma gz on mod! I don't think you were a mod when I first joined(?) or I could remember wrong! Thanks for the support :)

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
WOW - I was wondering where you went! I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. Welcome back! Don't worry, we'll help you get your tank looking sweet again.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
@goma gz on mod! I don't think you were a mod when I first joined(?) or I could remember wrong! Thanks for the support :)

Thanks!!

Just glad you are going to be ok!! Glad to see you are looking on the bright side!

ReefingFun

I did a 50% WC yesterday evening. In that WC I tried to suck out as much algae as I could, but a lot still remains. Now I wonder if I can do another 10-25% WC today or should I leave some time between?
Tests of this morning after yesterday's WC and adding the RS product:

Nitrite: 0 (down from 0.1)
Nitrate: 8 (down from I think was 14)
Phos: 0.02 (up from 0 - algae are removed so guess the readings start showing now)
pH: 8.0
Alk: 9 (up from 7.5 yesterday before WC)
Ca: 440
Mg: 1330

Couple of pics from before the 1st WC and after.

Before:

IMG_0004_zps1294ba8e.jpg

IMG_0027_zps5cd3dd5f.jpg

IMG_0005_zps5f2f546a.jpg

After 1st WC:

IMG_0038_zps818d77e0.jpg

IMG_0041_zps144dc85d.jpg

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Since you did a 50% water change, I would think it best to wait a little while before doing another one. One thing you want to avoid is changing so much that you induce a cycle. See what others think.

ReefingFun

Alright, I'll leave some time between WC's then.
I noticed there is a lot of "dust" that lays on the rocks, but can't get it all out just by siphoning it. You think it's possible to remove the rocks, do a simple clean in RO/DI water and put them back in so they have no more algae nor the dust on it? Is this gonna affect the livestock much?