female ocellaris not accepting male??????

jubbers

my female ocellaris is not accepting the male ocellaris clownfish. should i get another male? or what could i do to encourage the female to accept the male? my clowns are about a year old.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Describe "not accepting" the courtship of clowns is a very complex thing, what are you seeing that makes you think this? how sure are you of gender and species? try a little Barry White that usually does it lol

lcstorc

Are you sure you even have a pair? Were they added together? How long ago? Is there real agression or are they just not hanging out together?

jubbers

they have been together for 24 days. one is larger. i do not know if i have a pair that's why i am asking if i should get another smaller one.the larger one darts at the smaller one. and the smaller one either nips at the larger ones tail fin or darts off. please get back. do i have 2 females. i think they are juvenile still they are about a year old. but i want them to be a pair. if they aren't i want to get another smaller one to be sure i acheive a pair.please reply.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Oh wheres Elmo? I "think" at 1 year they are what they are, could be either or both the same, there is quite an involved courtship with clowns, and even if they accept each other or tolerate they may never become a "pair", maybe Woodstock can get Elmo to give us a little chat?

jubbers

i want to receive a pair so should i get another small male. because when they mature i want a pair.

BoomerD

The larger one will turn female in time. It's just the nature of the beast. If you add a 2nd male, you will most likely just cause the death of one clownfish.
Patience young Jedi...patience.

NOTHING happens fast in this hobby EXCEPT the bad things...

caitrina

The link I posted in here for you tells you what Boomer said. The link doesn't have a whole lot of info, but there is some to start with and as everyone else says...Go Slow...Patience is the key.

prow

give it a week if the aggression has not slowed some then maybe start thinking of trading the small one in for a smaller one:D . i have a pair and they still nip at eachother sometimes. so dont expect it to go away totally but your smaller one should submit in time, that is if it is still a juvenile or a male. i am thinking its a juvenile and fighting to become dominate sex, the female, normal stuff. after it finds out its not the dominate one it will turn into a male..

Triggerjay

I have a pair, they are about 4 years old, and go everywhere in the tank together. One is small (male) and the other one is large,.... they have never spawned to my knowledge..

Jason

Snelly40

i have had a cinnamon clown for about a year and a half, obv female by now. But i wanted to pair her up, so i went to the LFS and added a small cinnamon clown, little aggression at first, then more, then more, then i moved them to my new tank, and they just didnt click. Well i added another juvenile, actually still had part of his 2nd white stripe, and they swam right up to each other, strarted bobbing up and down and shivering, and there was still an occasional nip, but now the female even lets the male sleep in the anemone, but its been about a month...dont give up yet, but if the one clown really gets beat up u might want to take it out and try again

Craig Manoukian

3 in a 90 gallon will work, but smaller tanks add to territorial aggression with too many fish

My Maroon Golds bonded within a week, but the female was three times as large as the male.

jubbers

well, i am glad i was patient and sorry fellow members for being impatient. now the two of them are getting along and now they hang out by each other and they sleep together. they both guard my barnacle. and the smaller one (nemo) shakes at the larger one (dory). it is interesting to watch them.

jubbers

that is great! the larger one quivered at the smaller one for a while as dominance i think but now i've been spotting the smaller one do it.