Feeling overwhelmed

SaltWater G

I thought I new a little bit about reef tanks but after looking through this site I realize I know very little at all. I have a 29 gallon reef tank that I have had set up for almost a year. It has in it a Hammer, Frog Spawn, Open Brain, Mandarin Gobey, Cleaner Shrimp, and a few blue leg hermies. Everything seems to be doing great, but I dont know if I have the proper knowledge to correctly maintain a full reef enviroment. It seems that you almost need to make it a job more than a hobby. I look at all these wonderful tanks and cant help but notice that I dont have a clue what I'm doing. I guess I have been lucky so far. Well, I'm going to do some more research on proper lighting and coral placement. Any comments would be great. Thanks. SaltWater G

ReefLady

Staff member
Well, keep in mind that *every* tank is different. If your tank has been up for a year, and everything looks good, no major losses, no major struggles with nuisance algae, then it sounds like you're doing fine. After being in this hobby for 20 years, I still learn a ton of new stuff every day. That doesn't necessarily mean than I don't know enough to keep a tank. ;-)
If you know enough to research before making a purchase or a decision, then you'll be fine.

Any pics of your tank you can share?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
SW_G having a tank for a year says a LOT for you and your knowledge/techniques. Don't sell yourself short at all.

You got questions? We've got answers (some of them are occasionally correct to).

Now jump back in there and above ALL else please enjoy your tank. :D

chipmunkofdoom2

Time is the ultimate test for a reef tank. So far, you're doing okay :)

Besides the mandarin, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Just ask if you have questions.

blue_eyes53813

Welcome To RS... As others mentioned.. If all livestock is happy and doing well than dont worry... If you have ? or problems or just need to know if you are doing something right. Go ahead and ask.

There are hundreds of different ways of setting up a saltwater tank... You may not be wrong at all...

thearnley

Don't be too quick to question your knowledge/skills. If you've had a reef tank for a year and it's doing great, you're ahead of a lot of people. If you think you lack knowledge, that's easily rectified. Research, research, research....and evidently keep up the good work you've already been doing! :clink:

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
I agree with the others that if your tank is thriving after a year then you are doing well. The first year is generally the most difficult. Partially due to the fact that you are often adding new animals which can also mean adding new disease etc.
An established reef tank with relatively few stony corals should really only need water changes to stay healthy.
Now if you desire more hard corals or better growth from the ones you have then there are a variety of things that can be done such as adding calcium etc.
Really the hardest part is in the beginning. You have made it through that so unless something drastic happens you should be good.
Personally, I enjoy the knowledge just for the sake of the knowledge so I have become somewhat addicted.

SaltWater G

I have 2-170gph power heads, Marineland 350 Dual Bio-wheel filter, 9w UV, mini hang on skimmer, and a 300w heater, but my light set up is a little bit crummy. I have one 20w marineglo florecent and a 70w power compact (I think) I bought it used so I'm not to sure exact wattage. My tank is 12.5 in. x 30in. x 18in. My corals are all on the bottom of the tank. Are they getting enough light? Should I move them up? Someone told me that my light was only penetrating 3 inches of water?? I need some input. Thanks again, SaltWater G.