Feeding My Condialctus

I have a nice large purple-tip condilactus. He's about 5"x3". He seems to have good tan coloration and healthy plump tentacles. I feed my tank once a week with a large buffet of live brine shrimp. Everything indulges in this feeding frenzy. The hermits, clowns, domino, corals, and even the tiny- brown anemones. The condilatcus eats so many of these brine shrimp that he regergetates some of them back out after he can no longer fill his belly. Question: Do I need to be feeding him pieces of shrimp or marine flesh by hand? I always worry about everyone in my tank being happy and content. I don't want to starve anyone or over feed them either. :)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Most of an anemones dietary needs are met by its zooanthellae. That being said, IMO an occasional small piece of fish or shrimp are appreciated. Maybe once a week. Some people say not to feed them. I disagree, why would they have stinging tentacles and mouths if they didn't need to have solid food. There are many opinions on this, and everyone has their own method. I target feed my BTA with Mysis shrimp soaked in Selcon every 3-4 days.

Cougra

If the anemone is healthy, has good colouration and is under proper lighting, then, as mentioned, it should get MOST of it's nutritional needs from the zooxanthellae algae. However, I agree that they should be target fed occasionally with small pieces of food, about the size of a thumbnail. I think that once a week or so would be enough for the anemone, as they wont need much from the feedings. It may even be possible that it's getting enough of the food from your weekly tank feedings.

As for an anemone regurgitating it's food, this is completely natural as they only have one opening for both intake and exporting food. Once it gets all the nutrition it needs from the food it will come out the same hole it goes into.

rebekwl

I have a purple tip condi, and I target feed it a couple of times a week. It will spit out any large pieces, krill, shrimp, ect. It will only keep small things like Mysis and Brine shrimp, but will spit that out as well if I feed too often. I was worried about it at first, not so much now though. It seems to be healthy, and has turned from being bright white to having tan tenticles. I have found that target feeding it every 4-5 days makes it happiest.

BoomerD

Personally, I never fed anything with brine shrimp. Kind of the marine version of popcorn...crunchy and tasty, but ZERO nutritional value.
Mysis is a MUCH better food source.
I used to target feed my anemones small bits of shrimp or silversides, usually 2X weekly. The pieces need to be SMALL however, and I usually chopped their food into pieces about 1/4" cubed. If it's too big, they just "puke it back up", and that makes a mess of the tank, plus, it's unhealthy for the anemone.

lcstorc

What are the tiny brown anemones you mention? You may want to do a search for a pic of an aiptasia anemone to see if that is what you have. They reproduce like weeds and will quickly take over your tank.
I second the recommendation for mysis instead of brine. It has much more nutrition.

Thank you everyone! I want to keep him healthy and tan. I hate popcorn! So, I will look into Mysis and small pieces of marine meat (shrimp, silver sides, etc.)
Aiptasia is the one. I have 4 large brown aiptasia that have grown quite quickly. Aside from those, there seems to be another 20 small ones. New ones pop up every week or so. I kind of like them. They have a lot of action and move around often. I figure that they are a natural part of the reef. Therefore, I will leave them...
Plus, I would not know how to remove them without disrupting the tank.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I would remove/kill the aiptasia immediately. They will reproduce VERY rapidly and have a very potent sting that will kill other corals.

You can...
Feed them Joe's Juice (aiptasia killer),
inject them with HOT lemon juice using a needle/syringe,
Cover/smother them with a thick kalk paste,
remove the rocks and chisel out the area they were attached too,
remove the rocks and dry them in the sun for a few days.

I've heard of people getting peppermint shrimp to eat the aiptasia but the shrimp may or may not eat them.

Thanks Woody! Hot lemon juice! Sounds like an Old English remedy. I am sure that the acids from the citrus have an effect. I will try to purchase the Joe's Juice first. Then, I will practice some of the other techniques after that if necessary.

lcstorc

Joe's juice works great but you have to be sure to get it in their mouth. It will likely take several treatement sessions to get them all. They are very sneaky.

I spoke with "Joe." He gave me some suggestions and I checked out his web site. There should be some Joe's Juice in the mail box within a few short days. I'll let you all know how things work out. Thanks!