Feeding Anemone Bloodworms??

I have an anemone that has been found on my newly imported live rock.I have some frozen blood worms in the freezer. Is it ok to feed him a bloodworm from time to time?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I'm not sure I would do it. It's not a natural diet for an anemone. But then I don't roll the dice with nems much.

DaveK

First aptasia multiply very rapidly. Second they have a sting that will kill most other corals, and in some cases fish.

There are many ways to kill them. For a single one, you can remove the rock it's on and boil it in FW. This will kill everything else on the rock. You could also make a paste of kalk, remove the rock and cover the aptasia with the paste. There are also commericial products you can get to kill aptasia, such as Joe's Juice.

Get some peppermint shrimp. I had a lot of those stupid things on my rock and the shrimp are systematically dismantling them. It's awesome!:rocket:

I just found a 2nd one on the same rock!! I made some kalk paste and applied it on each anemone. I don't think they are on my other rock so hopefully I caught them early enough...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Keep a diligent eye out because they are VERY prolific and can pop up over-night. That's one good thing about peppermint shrimp (if they happen to eat Aiptasia which mine do) is they are always ready if one pops up. They devour them (again IF they happen to eat them).

Here's a link showing how it works
YouTube - Peppermint Shrimp vs. Aiptasia

:)

The anemone that I had applied paste to disappeared into the rock!! I thought I would wake up today to remove it's dead body. Nope, he's gone. What a clever little guy. I thought of an idea that might work. Anemones need good lighting to live correct? If I cure the rock in a separate container for a month or so with no light will this kill off the anemones??

BLAKEJOHN

These nems do not need light. They will thrive in the dark and I think they prefer the dark. Just cover the spot they were in with kalk paste and watch for them to return and more to pop up. I would go ahead and get two peppermint shrimp and give them a go. They are fairly cheap at around ten bucks each.