Feeding Advice

SaltNoob

So...
I've been advised to only feed my critters once a day. Fine. BUT...
My Tang is ALWAYS pecking at rocks and sand in what appears to be an attempt for food. My clowns also appear to be hungry. I dropped a couple hermit shells for the crabs to investigate and ALL my fish attacked.
Can I feed my kids twice a day?

cracker

Hey Salt, Is it possible to feed your fish a little bit several times a day? I know that work and such can take up a lot of time. Our fish are used to grazing all day after all besides running away from the odd predator that's all they have to do all day. You can feed the kids several times a day and that would be best. With all respect I'd stop listening to who ever told You to feed only once a day!

DaveK

This depends a lot on the fish. a tang and clowns can be fed only once every few days. Others like anthias need to be feed multiple times a day.

I typically feed my fish 2 to 3 times a week. Many people tend to overfeed the system and end up with nitrate, phosphate, and algae issues.

If your not having any of those issues, then you can feed more often, if you are, cut back.

Akshay

For me its usually one or sometimes two feeds a day. As I have a lot of anthias, the same quantum of food is divided over 2-3 feeds from early morning to noon. Clowns and tangs have no problem with one feed a day. I have a breeding pair of clowns and they are all on this system. Tangs are grazers, so the pecking u refer to, is their normal behaviour. Anyways just keep in mind that most beginners kill their "babies" with poor water quality than starvation (unless you buy finicky eaters).

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I keep nori hung daily for my tang, the clowns & other fish, get fed every other day & all are over 6 years old now - has worked well for me :nessie: 90% frozen

Starry Blenny
Bartlett's Anthias
Ocellaris clownfish mated pair - spawn regularly
Yellow Tang

SaltNoob

Thanks everyone!
@nano...
The tank did come with a little clip inside it and some nori (which I found odd).
Makes sense now.
Will any type of store bought nori do for these feedings and how often? A whole rectangle of nori? 3"x4"?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
here what I use... for my tang I hang a 1/2 sheet a day... some clips don't hold well - this one is magnetic

any nori that does not have additives I think would work

http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Little_Fishies_Julian_Sprung`s_Veggie_Mag_Feeding_Clip_Magnet_SeaVeggies_Seaweed_Fish_Food_Clips_Feeding_Stations-Two_Little_Fishies-TL33131-FIFDFECF-vi.html

Two-Little-Fishies-Julian-Sprung%60s-Veggie-Mag-Feeding-Clip-Magnet-SeaVeggies-Purple-Seaweed-30-grams-99.jpg

Paul B

I would feed more than once a day. You can feed 273 times a day, but sometimes you need time to go to the bathroom. I squirt some live blackworms in the tank in the morning after the lights come on, then I feed them their normal dinner in the afternoon. All my paired fish are spawning including the 24 year olds. You can't overfeed fish, they just won't eat any more because they can't physically fit more food in. While SCUBA diving I sometimes see flounders so full of grass shrimp that they can't close their mouth. You may have to check your water conditions but feed your fish to keep them healthy. And live or frozen food is much better than dry food except if you are feeding nori. That is fine dry but they need more than that. :rolleyes:

Oxylebius

My feeding varies each day. Monday - Thursday usually once a day w/nori on a clip (sometimes the nori isn't provided). Fri-Sun feed multiple times a day b/c I am usually around home and able to do so.

Some fish have high metabolisms and should be grazing on food all day long (e.g. anthias, some blennies and gobies, mandarins, herbivorous fish, etc.). Other fish have slower metabolisms or can store more reserves, thus can go a couple days w/o food.

Always best to do a little reach on the fish you have to see what needs they have.

As for nori bought at the store, as was mentioned by another post above, make sure the nori doesn't have additives, such as flavorings, etc.. Most lfs will carry dried nori and some health foods stores as well.