Fearless44 RSM250 evolution

Just adding corals for now.

Water tests are showing normal levels across the board.

Midas Goby, Ocellaris Clown & Chromis are happy. I am feeding them Reef Frenzy, and I could not be happier with their appetites, colors and activity. The food is phenomenal; no rinsing or scary floaties left over in the water. In fact, the fish eat everything and want more.

I ordered the Red Sea Max Reef Energy to feed the corals.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on the Red Sea Coralline Gro? The Ricordia mushroom rock had a lot of Coralline on it, but it is not spreading as fast as I thought it would.

I also need opinions on water temperature. My tank runs from 80 to 83.5. I am debating on taking out the black sponge thing in the left rear chamber. I wonder if the pump is too warm from the sponge getting clogged. I have not cleaned it - ever. The lights are on between 6 to 8 hours a day, and the warmest it gets is on the last hour. All the stock fans are working. I don't have a chiller, but I'm certainly debating one. I think the temperature swing is too great and the tank is overall too warm. Thoughts?

Beginning to see a small outbreak of green hair algae. I only have ~6 hermits and 2 snails. My first mission is to increase the CUC numbers and do weekly water changes (instead of every other week). Anything else that works especially well here?

Thanks for the help.

Will post pics of the new coral next.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
on temp... here a post you may be interested in

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/77603-temperature-question.html

The pumps create the heat, you will find without a chiller, you will want to run the rear cooling fans 24x7 & keep the ambient temp of your home at 72-73F

On cuc - love snails, one per gallon

Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, Nerites, Margarita, Mexican Turbos & Nassariu

You can start off a new tank with 1/2 this many, than add more in a month or two.

Here a recommendation from John (the owner of reef cleaners)
Quick Crew (65 Gallon)

sidebar - I would remove all the black sponges on a RSM 250

Please help with this ID: is this a dreaded juvenile Mantis shrimp? or an Amphipod? or a ???

This one is about 10mm long, came with the rock with the Ricordia. I see him mostly at night. I had to use a light to illuminate its rock while I shot these pics; sorry the detail is not the best.

I am freaking out right now. I don't want to deal with a Mantis outbreak.

Thanks for the help.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hummm, not sure it looks like a mantis shrimp. Hope it isn't but I don't know what juvenile manis looks like. Post these pictures in the Hitchhiker ID forum. There will be more ID HELP there. Get it out if you can just to be safe.

The consensus with the bug ID is an Amphopod. Thanks to everyone who helped lessen my worry.

I have started to start monitoring the Ca & KH levels. Also, started to add Red Sea Reef Energy A & B products to feed the corals.

The clownfish has not eaten food the last 2 feedings. Seems to be hiding more and less social. Any ideas???

On to better things.....here are a few pics of some current and new corals in the tank.

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Awesome pictures, beautiful corals :) ....makes me want MORE :D
Is the last picture a trumpet coral? I think if it's an easy to keep one, I will get one. :)
Don't know what to think about your clown, I have a pair & they've never acted bashful.
Hope someone can shed some light on why.

Awesome pictures, beautiful corals :) ....makes me want MORE :D
Is the last picture a trumpet coral? I think if it's an easy to keep one, I will get one. :)
Don't know what to think about your clown, I have a pair & they've never acted bashful.
Hope someone can shed some light on why.

The LFS called the last picture a Kryptonite Trumpet Coral. Cost me about $65, but it makes that side of the tank pop!
Thanks for the kind words.

JoeCanada11

Did I tell you nice taste in corals yet? If not then I will. Nice zoa rock. I just picked up a couple new things myself. Man I love corals. The more I research this hobby and coral growth, the more I realize patience is the big key to long term success.

Did I tell you nice taste in corals yet? If not then I will. Nice zoa rock. I just picked up a couple new things myself. Man I love corals. The more I research this hobby and coral growth, the more I realize patience is the big key to long term success.

Thanks, Joe. Trying to keep a nice balance of colors in the corals. Only 3 weeks in, but if my vision for my tank turns out, then it will rock.

JoeCanada11

I am sure it will work out. Just keep it simple and be patient. I know I use that word alot but I keep reading it whenever I do more research about this hobby so it must be important.

My 2clownfish have been hosting in my frogspawn for years. It's fine.

Cool, that's what I thought. The Clown is so proud of the Frogspawn; it is chasing away the snails and hermits while the other (larger) clown is stationed nearby. I wonder if they're already male/female? :snshne:

rhogeo

They are born nonsexual. When you pair them up, the larger one normally turns female and the smaller male.

Cool, that's what I thought. The Clown is so proud of the Frogspawn; it is chasing away the snails and hermits while the other (larger) clown is stationed nearby. I wonder if they're already male/female? :snshne:

I'm so stoked!!!

After days of not seeing him, and almost giving up hope on the little guy............

the tiny Pistol Shrimp makes an appearance paired up with the Goby.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
WOW, great picture! I bet they are going to be super fun to watch. Your mushrooms are awesome.
I've never seen my sand star climb the glass....does yours do it often?

WOW, great picture! I bet they are going to be super fun to watch. Your mushrooms are awesome.
I've never seen my sand star climb the glass....does yours do it often?

That little pistol shrimp has been busy all day pushing sand out of a space underneath the blue mushroom rock.

The star fish will spend 2-4 days half buried in the sand, then will climb the tank wall and hang for ~ a day. Then, it falls off and buries in the sand again. Weird creature.