Favorite Tool or Gadget?

What is your favorite tool or gadget?

• Internet &/or Books

Votes: 48 32.7%
  • Magnetic Scraper

Votes: 31 21.1%
  • Old Credit Card (as scraper not to buy more with..lol)

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Aquarium Tongs

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Automatic Top-Off

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Big Equipment (i.e. Ca &/or Kalk reactor, skimmer)

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Fish/Hand Towels

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • Net &/or Traps

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Wooden Skewers

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Can't Choose! - All of the above and then some

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Turkey Baster

Votes: 30 20.4%

• Total voters

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Hmmmm, I've been doing a little work on the tank tonight...

I got a new acro frag this past week and it came complete with red bugs, right now it is in a 25 min lugols bath, being basted with my turkey baster every couple of minutes. Prior to this the frag was removed from the tank and blasted with tank water via baster.

I am also trying to keep montipora eating parasitic nudis alive in a fish bag in my HOB fuge, I am changing water for them every 12 hours and I just [cringe] fed [/cringe] them a sliver of montipora spumosa (broken off with my leatherman), in an effort to keep them alive until Mon when I can ship them out. I've also used my tanks toothbrush for something, can't really remember what.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Originally posted by reefrunner
I've also used my tanks toothbrush for something, can't really remember what.

Well Kevin, hopefully not to brush your teeth with.

Ahhh, the Leatherman, every girl's dream multi-tool. You don't have to go hunting through the tool box when you have one of these babies at the tips of your fingers. There is also the pocket version - just as essential.

Gina

RS STAFF
I voted for the internet...valuable source for information and new friends!
Mag scraper. Beats the old scrapers.
Hand towel...always putting hands in tank.
Turkey baster...not just for turkeys anymore.
Other...pipettes. I get these from work. They are used for drawing serum off spun blood tubes. We use them for target feeding some of our corals. The fish also are familiar with them now as they take food straight from the tip.

TDEVIL

well i chose all the above and other, the baster speaks for its self (it does i herd it), the tongs i use to feed my green star(long story), the mag scrapper is an idea i wish i thought of;), the internet/books is also a great one and both have saved me a lot of money, etc, etc

the other thing i use is my shop vac, which can be used for that lovely salt creep that we all like to have ;)

TD

NaH2O

Contributing Member
LOL, TD.... the shop vac is also good for sucking out DSBs....LOL! Disclaimer: This statement was in fun and is not meant to encourage people to suck out their sand substrates :)

jimeluiz

Other...pipettes. I get these from work. They are used for drawing serum off spun blood tubes. We use them for target feeding some of our corals. The fish also are familiar with them now as they take food straight from the tip

Gina - where does your work get them? Some time ago Reeflady had a link to a supplier, but they no longer carry them. Some random Google-ing came up empty.

Anybody have a link to purchase pipettes?

Witfull

Originally posted by NaH2O ...Disclaimer: This statement was in fun and is not meant to encourage people to suck out their sand substrates :)
you are sounding like Curt,,,LOL

advntrsekrs

Since I don't actually have a tank yet, I would have to say internet and books. They have already saved me tons of money and potential headaches.

BigReepher

Hand towels! I been using my shirt.
Magnetic Scraper! I use my fingernails.
Turkey baster! I just stick my hand in there and fan away.
Internet/Books! It's mostly conflicting information anyway.
Old credit card! What's credit?

I'm just teasing, except for the using my shirt part.LOL Those are my picks. I would like to add my red light, it gets alot of use when the lights are out. I couldn't satisfy my addiction in the middle of the night without it.:D

Cougra

I chose other: GLOVES! Great big long vet gloves! These allow me to work in the tank without fear of allergic reactions to anything! Without my gloves everything else would be useless!

Also, pippetts can be purchased if you have a science store around! They are fairly cheap as well and come in different lengths. I get mine from Estefan's Science near me, but I forgott he internet addy. Will find out soon.

Craig Manoukian

Originally posted by BigReepher
my red light, it gets alot of use when the lights are out. I couldn't satisfy my addiction in the middle of the night without it.:D

Hey let's keep this reef related, no personal stuff.;) Way too much information!:eek:

:) :D :cool: :p :smirk: :columbo:

BigReepher

Uhmm, I didn't mean for it to come out that way. I agree it doesn't sound right. But I work third shift and I like to check out the goings on inside the tank while the lights are out. I get to see my peppermint shrimp lay eggs and then the tank is full of little bitty tiny shrimp. They're all gone by morning, so if it wasn't for my handy dandy red light, I wouldn't even have known they were there.

Craig Manoukian

JK BigReepher!

Scott, what a scream! Do you put your goggles, fins, and snorkel on and sit in that baby right in front of the tank?

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

tgeiger

One of my favorite things:
Pyrex (glass) measuring cups

I use it for:
measuring salt
thawing food
soaking food in vitamins
Filtering baby brine
acclimation
etc

I also use a lot of tupperware
-Tom

What a surprise nobody mention buckets!!
You need them to mix sw,to aclimate fish and corals and to put all your junk too!
Have fun reefing you all!!

VINA

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
My coolest thing is a credit card, but i don't use it for scraping coraline......it allows me to get everything i want and just about everything i dont want...:p

I voted baster. But with hesitation...we need more like the best three not just one. Without the books, I would have had either a lot of dead things, or a pissed off LFS owner for asking so many questions. And the towels; OH MY GOD, I never knew...I might as well have gills, too. Thats my input. Good poll tho.