Favorite Ca/Alk/Mg Supplementation Method?

How Do You Supplement and Why?

• Calcium Reactor

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Two-Part

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Kalkwasser/Limewater

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Manual Dosing

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Water Changes Only

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

Reddog170

Right now water changes are all I need. If I need more calcium or mag then I have a three part system that works well. Shaun

DBrinson

Using a Reef Dynamics Calcium Reactor with "coarse" Knop Korallith media. Flowthrough is gravity-fed with 18 inches of head between the input and outlet tanks, and a small flow adjuster on the outlet, the flow is just slightly above a "drip".

Though the pH is technically controlled by an Apex, it's just a failsafe, it cuts the gas if the pH drops really low, 6.25. I manage my bubble counter to keep the internal reactor pH around 6.5. Effluent pH is pretty consistenly 0.3 above the internal pH.

I keep a two-part buffer handy in case the overall system pH drops.

I dose alk, cal, and mag. I make my own supplements from supplies I bought from Bulk Reef Supply. It has worked really well for me so far.

Last edited:

oakleyx

I use seachem reef builder for alkalinity and seachem reef complete for calcium and mag.

steved13

PREMIUM
I also use ESV b-Ionic 2 part, brightwells magnesium and potassium with 4 channel doser

According to the poll I'm the other guy who uses Kalkwasser :D

I like Kalkwasser for a few reasons.

1)I have a low demand tank so a slow kalkwasser drip is enough to keep up with demand.

2)I am terribly forgetful with daily dosing. With kalkwasser I can look and see if the reservoir needs filled so I don't forget to dose anymore.

3)Kalk is cheap. The DIY dripper was also cheap and easy to build.

bshady

if need i manually dose. But as it stands right now i have a low demanding tank but i always have kalkwaser on hand and calcium. i keep up on water changes

Ssullivan

my water comes out of a salt water well, the cal is around 800 a dkh of 17 and i dont remember the mag (i dont test for it) and i change my water when the cal drops to around 500