Faq For Digital Camera Shoppers

Icebox

I was just surfing around and found this wonderful article. Thanks Travis.

Anyway, one of the best places to buy photography supplies is www.bhphoto.com.

They are in NYC if you want to stop by to check them out, but they have a great website as well. They also have some of the best prices everyday that I have found.

Shells

hi guys!!! :thumbup:

happy birthday toooo meeee!!! hehe :whstlr:

sorry, its my birthday and i just love birthdays...

anyway...for my b'day my boyfriend got ma a cannon ef 100mm macro lens (f2.8) i'm sooo excited...is this a good macro for shooting close up reef tank pictures??

Kensn

I want one, just got a used cannon Rebel... I really like it, I just need to get to know it a bit better. That lens sounds very nice....

Shells

Kensn said:
I want one, just got a used cannon Rebel... I really like it, I just need to get to know it a bit better. That lens sounds very nice....

I've got the Digital rebel too, just luv it!

Kensn

I really like it... Just need to experiment with it alot to see what I can get out of it. I want to get profecient at the manual settings. It will take a while...

DrBCool

Has anyone tried the underwater cameras by chance ? Just curious you want close up I gues syou can't get much closer than right in the tank with the things you want to take a shot of .. :) Just wondering as I am looking at updating my camera from the ancient Fuji MX1200 which I got in '99 .. Has taken some really great close up flower shots , but doesn't seem to do any justice on my tank thus far ... I was looking at the Kodak Z710 but am kinda skeptical on it for lack of stabalization .. I looked for the G3 and the price seems a little high on it and it is hard to find ... The D80 is a little out of my price range , if I had that kinda dough laying around I would deffinately be getting tank stuff with it ....llol Anyway some input would be helpful my eyes are going crosseyed from reading again .. Can never do to much research on things like a new camera .. Asking for one for Christmas from my employer :-D

bluespotjawfish

Has anyone tried the underwater cameras by chance ?

I have tried my Sea and Sea DX5000 with and without my wide angle lense. It was a lot of hassle, and after I sorted through the photos, I liked the ones I took outside the tank as well as those I took inside. So, I have stayed dry since.

brikeibur

I had a Minolta Dimage camera and I can say they are GREAT cameras. I loved mine. I just got a digital SLR though for Christmas, so I let my mom use the Minolta. I have a Canon Rebel XTi.....it is GREAT, but I am highly inexperienced, especially when it comes to taking pictures of an aquarium. I have taken tons of great photos with this camera, but taking pics of my tank seems to be a LOT different. The color is hard to capture and what not. I think I posted a question under the newbie site about photos asking for tips, but that was before I knew there was a photo forum. I guess I'll repost here....Thanks guys.
Stacy and Brian

jnohs

i have to say that digital "S.L.R." is 1 of the most important factors in camers. I heard some1 say earlier in this thread that they wanted a d10. I have a d70s and I have to say, I do think it was one of the best buys I have ever made. I actually think it is still a better buy than any of my aquarium purchases. seeing that it has cost me a lot of money. probably 3000$ so far including my fresh tanks. what i am getting at, is that if you are into reef keeping as much as any normal person you probably have invested a real lot of money. so with that in mind do your self a favor spend some of that reef money on a nice camera.

naperenterprise

Great Thread!

I've been reading and searching and I have one favor to ask...

Can you folks who have good camera's, post one of your photographs, and the type of camera you used to get the photo.

If you have a great camera, please help me decide what to get, I'm better at making desisions if I see an example photo.

Also if you take a macro shot, did you have to buy a separtae lens, or does your camera have the macro setting.

Thanks for your help ;)

brikeibur

Hey Nap...
If you would like to check out some of my pictures, you can just look at my Reef Chronicles.....there is a clickable link for it in my signature, at the base of this post or just click here: **Brian and Stacy's Reef Experience** (pages 4-6 have some pretty decent examples).

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTI:girlthumb: and I used a Tamron 75-300mm lens with a macro setting on it, as well as the lens that came with my camera, a Canon 18-55mm lens (no macro).

However, you CANNOT judge the camera by the pictures. I have taken some really nice photos with camera OUT OF WATER, but when it comes to taking tank photos...it is way different.:look:
Here are some links to some slideshows of mine (to see the difference):
Flowers and Critters
Landscape and Scenery
Italy (these have been 'downgraded for web' so the quality on the originals is actually way better)
Hope these help....is just kinda showing you what 'I' can do with a Canon Digital Rebel XTI, so put someone behind it who isn't lazy and you have the potential for some BEAUTIFUL pics!!:white:

You can somewhat notice that my pictures have improved a little from the first shots on my chronicles and the ones nearing the end. I am getting a little better, but I have a lot to learn, and TONS of the shots that are just "OK" have NOTHING to do with my camera, but the user really.:drool: For example, I am lazy and don't like using a tripod...meaning not as good photo quality, also I have never really adjusted my white balance correctly. Also, I don't have a really good extra flash, only the one that is fixed on the camera which I hardly EVER use (I really want one of those 'light rings' for macro photography and a 60mm or 100mm f2/8 macro lens).:tongue:

But I guess I am just saying, that my pictures do not do justice to my camera (as others may or may not), hopefully mine will one day when I get more practice and force myself to not be so lazy. :eek:

Hope this helps you....:dance:

Stacy

naperenterprise

Thanks Stacy!
You take very nice photo's! I hope to get some shots like that when I get a new camera.

I'll look into the Rebel XTI right now ;)