"fallow" question

If you have fish in a tank that have built a resistance to an outbreak of ick and you allow a fallow period (8 weeks). will the tank be done with ick since it could not host the remaining fish?

jpsika08

That's a great question to an answer I don't have, many state that the remaining fish, even that they build an immune system again crypto, they still host it, when introducing a new one BAM! the Ich hits again like a ninja in the night :)

I'm in the same boat you're in right now, I couldn't catch the last fish in my tank and it has been like that for four months, I will see how it goes after QT'ing the new batch.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
no. the fish may not show the parasite, but it is still present. Ill further add that I do not believe anything can build a resistance to a parasite, it may be in remission or off season, a biological issue or viral I can see, not a parasite

steved13

PREMIUM
If you have fish in a tank that have built a resistance to an outbreak of ick and you allow a fallow period (8 weeks). will the tank be done with ick since it could not host the remaining fish?

The post is a little confusing. If a tank is left Fallow (no fish in the tank at all) for a period of 8 weeks then the ich will have died without a host and the tank will be ich free. If fish remain in the tank even if they " have built a resistance to an outbreak of ick" then it is not fallow.

leebca

To answer the first post. . .It won't matter whether or not the fish have a resistance to the parasite if the tank is fallow. By "fallow" we mean fishless -- not containing any fish. If there is fish in the tank that is resistant, then the parasite hasn't died off and it doesn't matter how long you wait 8, 12, 16 weeks, the parasite will live.

The resistance does not prevent infection, it just keeps the infection low. Fish resistance is very poor and not like land animals. Yet fish resistance/immunity is better than invertebrate immunity.