Failure. >:-/

PIMPALA

Remember last year when I left my heaters unplugged and my tank got cold while I was gone and a lot of my corals and fish died?

Well, that didn't happen again... This time I had a heater failure of the opposite type. Almost catastrophic. Temp spiked, and honestly I don't know how long it's been that way. I check my temps about every two days. Tank was sitting around 78ish daytime and 76-77 at night. Seemed normal. Or so i thought. Then noticed last week that some corals were really pissed of. SPS losing color, my Scoly was starting to look bleached. Some of my zoas not opening up. When my hand went into the tank to remove a clam, it felt REALLY warm. Checked temp, it said 76. No way was it 76. So I stuck another thermometer into the tank, and by the time it was done climbing, it hit 86.5 and I about flipped out. Removed the faulty heater, tossed it in the trash, and brought the temp down slowly. Hopefully all of the corals come back around. :(

Think it's time for me to invest in a controller yet?

StirCrayzy

Dang dude,that sux bad.
Thats how i lost the last of my corals and a nem, mine was at 90 when i found it.

What controller you usin.?
Is it possible to add a secondary temp controller between the main controller and the heater?

DaveK

Heaters are among the most unreliable pieces of equipment in the hobby. Even the better quality ones can fail.

A controller is a possible option, but by the time you set it up, it can get very expensive. I'd say consider a controller if you have a lot of other things you want to control.

Another possible option is a is a temperature controller. They are not cheep, but less expensive than a controller. Here is an example, but shop around for others (offsite) - Aqua Logic Digital Temperature Controller

BTW, if you think that you might want a chiller someday, consider a dual set point model.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jason I hate to see this. You can't seem to get a break when it come to temps.

The Apex Jr is a good controller and will fill your need great. It's a good cost effective "Controller" solution.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks Al. I'll see how fast one of the LFS can get one for me.

Jason was you not surprised I didn't even mention the GHL ProfiLux controller? I thought someone would call me out for not mentioning it when I usually do LOL!

The reason I didn't is because you want/need a simple and wallet friendly solution to help you monitor and control TEMP and it's hard to justify the slight up-charge to go with a ProfiLux system. :)

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Could also just go with a second digital thermometer to keep the numbers in check? Maybe keep it in a place out of the way but where you'll see it at a quick glance? Just another cheap thought:)

Sorry for the issues with the junk equip. I am going through the same nonsense with my QT tank.

I guess it would come down to how long it stayed there but 86 isn't that bad. I have seen reef tanks without chillers run at 82-83.

Plus whatever the count is on the controller thoughts. Another way to go is two or three smaller heaters. That would limit or slow down any failure and give the benefit of pulling one to use if you wanted to drip acclimate a fish in a bucket for a few hours or water change water.

But, if it was me I would just order the GHL super mega ultimate pack :)

-JOHN

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like how John thinks :) John I'm sending you an email right now with ordering instructions LOL! (just kidding)

PIMPALA

LMAO!! I noticed, but assumed you knew I wasn't ready to drop that kind of cheddar on it. lol

And I already run 2 heaters. lol

BLADEYAMAHA

I have a digital temp reader, I check it everyday, just to keep an eye on things, just that paranoid I suppose. I stick my finger in the tank too for good measure. I dunno.

DaveK

I've noticed that several people have recommended multiple heaters. If you are going to do this, you do need to size them carefully. It's amazing how even a small heater can really raise the temp of a tank.

The old "rule of thumb" use to to 5 w per gal of water. This is actually far too high for most applications. 2 w per gal is usually a much better choice, unless the tank is in an unheated basement or something. This works out to using two 100w heaters on a 100 gal tank. It doesn't sound like much, but it's correct. Also, be sure you get the heaters set to the same temp. You'll put a lot more stress on one heater, if it has a setting much higher than the other. If you are using a controller, you can set the heater to a little above the controller setting. This provides a fail-safe if the controller has a problems and wants to keep the heater on all the time.

Lastly, once and awhile test your heaters.

StirCrayzy

The other danger with too many heaters is increasing the odds of one sticking ON. Which seems to be more common than failing in OFF mode.