Extra water volume?

govertical19

Hey all,

Just wondering what people think..... I have a 265 gallon display that used to be plumbed to a 75 gallon tank. I recently disconnected the 75 although it still has snails, hermits and a long spline urchin in it.

In my display I have a bubble tip and a couple clowns. I was thinking about letting the water flow to the tank again with a small amount of rocks just to house the bubble and clowns.

My real question for everyone is do you think having more water volume (just water, no rocks, not a refuguim) is beneficial? I keep thinking about it and more water Iwwouldtthinkto be better , but if it is a refuge and it is not managed properly that could just cause problems with nitratesand bad water qquality down the road.

What do you guys think?

StirCrayzy

More water volume is a good thing, Yes.
Whether you consider the 75 a remote extension of the display or a fuge, maintenance cannot be avoided, or the whole system will suffer.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
more water = more stable parameters, so yes its benificial. That said, if you are planing to house Only the BTA and clowns in their own tank, 75 will be a bit big. Clowns get very sight attached, and once done, they rarely go mroe than a couple feet from that spot. I keep a couple clowns, quite happy i might add, i a 29g cube tank.

govertical19

more water = more stable parameters, so yes its benificial. That said, if you are planing to house Only the BTA and clowns in their own tank, 75 will be a bit big. Clowns get very sight attached, and once done, they rarely go mroe than a couple feet from that spot. I keep a couple clowns, quite happy i might add, i a 29g cube tank.

Yea I hear what you are saying. The thing with the 75 gallon is you don't see the whole thing. You only really see the center of it thru the wall. Also I already have the tank drilled and plumbed. I was thinking about not even putting sand in the tank to reduce the build up of waste.. I have to post a pic of it. I was thinking about putting the rock in the center and getting a bunch of clowns. Or some small fish, like it was a nano tank.

fire50

Get more water volume is good thing but as you discussed with 75 gallon you couldn't able to see the whole thing then it is another issue. so you should to buy special type of glass which they specially design for this purpose available...