External pump/Sump hole location?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am in a dilemma.. I need to know the height the hole should be drilled for a sequence pump. The pump has not arrived yet and I am going to get the sump drilled today.

The sump is a 40 gal breeder and the return pump will be a Sequence Tarpon. I will place the pump on a thick mouse pad for insulation.

I will be using the 1" bulkhead (heavy duty schedule 80) double threaded which requires a 1 7/8" hole.

Can someone tell me how high the 1 7/8" hole should be drilled? Measurements to the bottom of the 1 7/8" hole would be perfect.

120plumbingscheme-1.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Wow... the dimensions of the reeflow tarpon are 15.5" long, 10" tall, by 9.25" wide :eek: That is BIG!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="10%" rowSpan=4> </TD><TD width="1%" rowSpan=4></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Warnberg

Doni, my sump pump is located on the end like in your drawing. If you look real close on the right side of this pic you will see one of the bulkhead fittings installed. What I did when I got my new sump is I placed the pump next to the sump on the ground and then lined up the hole location for the pump.

New_Sump.JPG
[/IMG]

Woodstock

RS STAFF
That would be the preferred method... however, I have chosen to do things backwards and need to get the sump drilled first since I am waiting on my pump to be delivered :rolleyes:

I suppose I could divide the height of 10" by two and then add 1/2" for the padding.... 5 1/2". I would rather have it too high than too low.. maybe I should go for 6"?

pmac90

yeah, Doni, you're just going to have to go to high. Maybe more padding if you need and an elbow on the inside of the sump (in your pic). It's like Dave said... most line it up, then drill.

billyr98

did u contact them on how high the pump intake is? they should be able to tell you the perfect number.. plus padding :D

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Woodstock, according to spec's the pump is 10'' tall and looks like inlet is centered to body, you may have to plumb down depending on water level.Steve

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Billy, they did not respond yet.

Boozeman, many people have recommended it as quiet, efficient, and durable. I definately wanted an external pump and it needed to be able to pump around 1000 - 1200 gph after the plumbing maze head loss. I hope I chose right.... We will see.

Sasquatch, That is exactly what I went by. :)

JohnS_323

Nice approach to the set up. Good use of unions. I'm a big fan of them and union ball valves, they really come in handy down the line.

The only recommendation I would make would be to over size the feed line to the pump. Since the inlet to the pump is 1", I'd use a 1.5" bulk head fitting and run 1.5" pipe right to the pump and step down at the inlet port. This way you always have plenty of water for the pump to pull from.

Also, like the others have said, if in doubt go a little high on the hole. You can always use elbows to properly line it up.

Good luck!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Nice pump Doni! I have the ampmaster 3000 on my CL and its very quiet. I dont support it though. When i did it made a noise and i hate noise! so it's floating in the air from the return line. PVC is very strong and it holds it just fine. Im not recomending that to you though since your glass is not as thick as mine and yours wont be plumbed up to a bulk head. I agree with everyone else who said to go high. Only because you can pad it up better then and limit the vibration noise to nothing. I would also have a gate valve on the return line so you can back it down if you need to. Especially since its going into the UV.

BoomerD

Thought I'd post in this again, since I see you now have this pump listed for sale...WHY?

Edit...just saw your "120 Escapade thread"...have the sump cut smaller??

BoomerD

I suppose so...IMO, you'll be disppointed at the difference between that Iwaki and the Sequence, but we all have to make compromises on things from time to time...IME, the Iwaki will be MUCH noisier than the Sequence, although perhaps quieter than many others out there, and will use as much or more electricity to pump less water.