External parasitic worms

IamELMO

It appears I may have introduced a couple of worms. They are on my female clowns face - two of them about 2mm long and white. They don't appear to be causing any discomfort at the moment but I kind of want to get on this before a/ it spreads or b/ worsens.

What would the course of treatment entail? I was thinking a fresh water dip around the 4-5min mark? Or would copper be better?

I'll try grab a photo but can't see it coming out any better than a black clown with two white lines on her face.

Cheers

Frankie

RS STAFF
Here is a bump for better advice then I would give.
Get them pictures up so we can see just what is going on here please. thanks, Frank~

IamELMO

This is the best I could get. One seems to have come off so it could've general tank muck that got stuck on it's face. Who knows.......?

_MG_3711.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yeah, it's hard to tell. Better wait for Lee or someone with more experience then I before doing anything though. You could harm the fish by those methods you mentioned.
Me, I would just pull the fish and see if it would come off manually but I still suggest waiting for better advice.

leebca

There are dozens of different types of these kinds of parasites. Some respond to certain treatments, others could care less about certain treatments. So, unless you know which kind you have, the best is to perform a couple of treatments.

Start with a FW series of baths. Follow this process BUT only dip the fish for 10 minutes: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/31523-freshwater-dip-process.html

You'll do the above every other day for 4 total dips.

If there is no or little change, then the next step would be to get any of the products for 'flukes' sold at your LFS and follow its instructions.

Some are killed by formalin. You would follow the formalin dip instructions here, every other day for a total of 4 or 5 dips: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...s/50755-formalin-treatment-marine-fishes.html

Sorry I couldn't narrow it down much more than this. Try any of the above in any order.

:fingerx:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks for chiming in Lee :) I commend your efforts in helping us all in our hobby. There would be many suffering fish and many uneducated people in this world without you.
:thumbup:

IamELMO

Thanks for chiming in Lee :) I commend your efforts in helping us all in our hobby. There would be many suffering fish and many uneducated people in this world without you.
:thumbup:

I agree. I was only just talking about you and how you are on many forums and always seem to offer relevant and insightful advice. It must be one hell of a job.

I thank you

IamELMO

Oh and both have now detached so i can only hope for the best now as I doubt I'll find two tiny little worms in my tank.....

oakleyx

Hi Lee,

I noticed something very similar on my hippo tang today. The only difference was that both ends of the parasite/worm were connected to the tangs face.

After I saw it, I went to RS and found this post. I went back to my tank to take another look and it was gone.

So I don't know if the worm/parasite fell off or burrowed back into the tang.

Any advice?

Thanks
-Dan

leebca

Dan,

Not particularly good news. Let's hope instead what you saw maybe was just some anomaly (fantasy) :stars: because if it was a worm, then things are not likely to improve.

Worms can be very persistent. They are slow to spread, but very hard to stop. Some can live quite a long life in a fishless tank, too.

About all you can do is keep your eyes on all your fishes and move any infected fish out of the main system. So, I would setup and have running a QT.