Evil algae from outerspace!

carriej

Blue Dictyota.

The battle has begun.

What is an effective way to absolutely eradicate this crap? It showed up mysteriously; and I thought it was kinda pretty so me (duh) left it there.. Well... Not a good idea.

It's in my powerheads, in my overflow, in my plumbing... help... LOL

I seen posts where algaefix gets it; but I can't get that in Canada :(

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
How long have you had it. When I had it on live rock, it disappeared on it's on within about 6 months of having my tank set up. Like you I liked it and was kinda' sad it died, though.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Everything I've read on this stuff says it takes manual removal + water siphoning. A few people did an 80/20 mixture of RO/DI water with peroxide to kill it off some rocks and frag plugs. The dip apparently worked, but it took time for those corals to bounce back.

I would not recommend the naso tang approach either.

carriej

My tank is relatively empty and 6 feet, so I could sustain a naso for quite some time but I honestly am just not crazy about the fish.

The problem is; this stuff is all in the cracks in my tank and all in my plumbing... I don't even know how to begin to get it out of every nook and cranny! I was hoping for a miracle I guess lol

Mike Johnson

Sounds like to me you need an algae eating fish. I purposely grow the red variety in another tank to feed my Powder Blue who loves it. It'll grow in his tank, but he keeps it trimmed down to nothing.

Also, you'd think it would be a great nitrate absorber and it's not that hard to harvest. If you have it growing out of control you obviously have nitrate/phosphate issues.

scubaguy

Yup, you defenitly know you have an algea problem when the stuff is in the plumbing :dead: An anti algea supplement is the onlything that'll completely get rid of it since it's in unreachable places. Otherwise you'll just be scrubbing & siphoning for the rest of your life. I mean, can't you order it online? Dr. Tim's Refresh & Wast-Away is another one that'll take care of it. I preffer it cause it's garanteed all natural bacteria. Not sure about API but it's reef safe though.

tektite

Sounds like to me you need an algae eating fish. I purposely grow the red variety in another tank to feed my Powder Blue who loves it. It'll grow in his tank, but he keeps it trimmed down to nothing.

Also, you'd think it would be a great nitrate absorber and it's not that hard to harvest. If you have it growing out of control you obviously have nitrate/phosphate issues.

The red "dictyota" is not related to this type of dictyota, it isn't dictyota at all in fact. Very different algae. With this algae, it can grow in almost zero nutrients, very tough one to have. Its growth is not an indication of excess nutrients, though it can be.

carriej

I will have to look into those. The only one I can seem to find is an algae solution by two little fishies.