Euphy question

Paragon

Hi All,

New to reefing as some of you may already know, and I have a question about my Euphy's. As you'll see in my signature I have 3 atm, 1 large hammer, 1 medium torch and 1 small torch.

I've noticed that many nights one or more withdraw once the tank goes to dark. It's not always a full withdrawal (100% tentacle retraction into the calcified base), but sometimes it is and othertimes its just a significant deflation relative to daytime levels.

They always seems to return to normal levels during the daytime in the day to follow, and I thought I'd check with my resident subject matter experts and see if this seemed normal. The only water stastic I'm aware of being relevant insomuch as it is not ideal is ph. It is typically 8.1.

Thanks in advance,
Para

Most coral (not all) retreat at night and open back up in the morning or when the lights come back on. I have a tongue coral, frogspawn coral and a few others that do the same thing. As long as they open and look good in the day/lights are on and your levels are in range...I wouldn't worry to much.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Para think about it like this. A good portion of the "reason" for their tentacles is for photosynthesis (making sugar from light to feed the coral). Once the lights go out they usually retract to some degree probably because they have no light to feed off of and probably because they simply need to "rest". It's normal.

Paragon

Thank you both. I assumed this was the case, but I appreciate the information and reassurance. There is a tremendous amount to learn in this hobby, and both of you have helped to move the bar along once again.

Best Wishes!
Para