Etienne's RSM 130

Akvaristu

Hello Guys,

I started my first reef aquarium 2 months ago (RSM 130).
On the first day, I added some Carrib-Sea Live Sand and base rock with some RODI saltwater (1.024).

I've been testing my water every week.
0 Nitrates
0 Nitrites
0.6 Ammonia almost since the beginning.

Some green algaes are developing slowly on my rocks but no other sign of life.

I've never done a WC. Could it help or is it too early?

Thanks!
Etienne

Pat24601

I don't think a water change would do much for you either way. Can you get your water tested at your LFS and verify your numbers? No movement at all in 2 months seems odd to me.

DaveK

Did you add some sort of organic matter, or other material to give the bacteria something to break down? Most of us add a smaller raw shrimp from the seafood counter of the grocery store, but you can use many other methods.

Did you use cured live rock? If the rock has been in a system and well seasoned, there may not be much of a cycle.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^ I am thinking you need to add an ammonia source - as you said you have started with "base rock"

I would run down to the local grocery store, buy 1 raw deli shrimp, drop it in & let it rot, it will gone (a couple weeks) and keep testing - it can only help & can't hurt

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Cycling tank:

Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled

Depending on the state of your LR (how cured it was & how much die off it had), in general it will look something like this...

CyclingGraph.gif

DaveK

Thanks,

Yes, I added some dry fish food (pellets) to help the cycling process.
In fact my rocks were dry. I purchased 40 lbs of these CaribSea SouthSeas.

Ok that explains it. Ever notice how dry fish food can hang around in the tank for days, if the fish don't eat it? Get a raw shrimp in there. you only need one.

Akvaristu

Ok, thanks for your replies!
I'll get a raw shrimp and add it to the tank.
Since I had 0.6 Ammonia I thought it would be sufficient to start the cycle but apparently it is not.

Do you think the temperature could also slow down the process? I'm averaging about 30°c (86°F).

Marty.h

We use to use this on freshwater tanks to cycle them

JEYES-KLEEN-OFF-AMMONIA-500ML.jpg

It's ammonia in a bottle and we would dose to 2ppm ammonia it would soon kick start the process.

Once the system is able to process 2ppm of ammonia to 0 in 24hours over 3 consecutive days dosing to 2ppm each day we classed that as cycled.

Akvaristu

Ok thanks,
So, following your advices, I bought a medium sized raw shrimp and added it to the tank.

We'll see what happens! I'll keep you updated.

Etienne

Envoyé de mon SM-N900W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

DaveK

We use to use this on freshwater tanks to cycle them
[...image deleted ...]

It's ammonia in a bottle and we would dose to 2ppm ammonia it would soon kick start the process.

Once the system is able to process 2ppm of ammonia to 0 in 24hours over 3 consecutive days dosing to 2ppm each day we classed that as cycled.

You can use plain ammonia to start a cycle, but I don't recommend it for FW or SW for the following reasons -

It's way too easy to overdose ammonia. With a deli shrimp you just add it to the tank and wait.

You have to get just the right product, plain ammonia with no other additives. No soap, no fragrances, no whiteners, no fabric softeners. Way too easy for a beginner to get the incorrect product.

Akvaristu

I guess the ammonia bottle is practical for someone who has a lot of tanks to start.
My shrimp cost me less than a dollar so it was an economical choice.

Marty.h

Thing is you can't control ammonia being released from decaying shrimps ect with a bottle you can dose accurately and control the ppm :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
How's you cycle progressing now? :fishy: New pictures to add? :fishy:
Just read up on your tank progress...I would be happy to move this thread to "RSM Owner's Club" & re-name it for you if you'd like.
Linking it to your profile makes it easier for others to follow a long with. :thumber2:

Akvaristu

Hi!
Yes, you could rename it. This thread could be my aquarium journal :)

I saw some progress last week, at least on the algae growth!

23898af934c610e297f715a3d7c31bde.jpg

I tested the water today:
Ammonia: 0.6
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 2.5

I don't know if my test kit is still good... I find it odd to have Ammonia at this stage.