ER RC-180 skimmer big enough??

Phyxius

AS some of you know I`m setting up a 210g tank as an upgrade. Found a slightly used ER RC-180 skimmer but was wondering if this would be big enough to work on my system. It states +/- 180g but some of the figures are conservative from some makers. Next model up would be the 250 and its much more $$$

Any insight on users of skimmer this would be greatly appreciated.

mps9506

Bump from you.
I haven't used the RC skimmers from Euroreef, but with the past ER skimmers I've used I find they are usually just about spot on with their estimates for a moderately stocked tank.
What kind of stocking plans do you have for the tank?

Phyxius

Same with me and no experience with the RC skimmers. Have 3 here CS6, CS5 models and they work great.
Plan on having a moderately stocked tank with low-mid fish load and mid level SPS and LPS corals

I figure rock is going to displace a bunch of the water and sump will make up some. I can get a really good deal on this and that's why I`m really questioning if it will work before I make a possible mistake and buy it

Frankie

RS STAFF

TurboSnail8898

I think a ER RC-180 can handle a low/moderate stocked 210g tank with weekly water changes, but I don't think you would have to push very hard and you would find its limit. Your skimmer is really the heart of your system, so it should be able to handle whatever comes at it. Try a MSX-300, it should handle your tank and it doesn't cost much for what your getting.

Phyxius

Thanks for the replies guys. I should have mentioned I do regular weekly water changes on all my tanks so that's a plus I guess. I`ll look at the others you have mentioned also.

NCguy

WiseGuy
I haven't had any experience with the RC-180 but I have heard that the MSX-300 was a good skimmer for the price. If you're doing weekly water changes, I honestly don't think you have to go all out on the skimmer.

I went with a Reeflo 200 because I tend to over-feed a little(or alot) :) It has more than taken care of my tank although it did cost a little more.