Equipment Questions...

Lemonpeel

I have a few questions on what kind of skimmer I should get for a 40 gallon reef. I've been looking and I have been modifying a wet/dry filtration unit to hold filtration as well as a Refugium. I'd like to get an external and have a small pump inside mu fuge to run it. Anyone have any ideas? Also I've been doing alot of research on this and I've heard on some sites that Bio-balls are nitrate factories, but I've heard from others that they harbor the bacteria that get rid of the Nitrate. Can anyone help me with this? Should I take the Bio-ball section out completely and turn that section into a filter sock with live rock? Also I've looked into some PCF to hang over it. would 20 inches be large enough to hang over the middle of a 31 inch sump? If I keep the Bio-balls in there it will cut space for the fuge down to 15 inches... What should I do?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
In a Reef the bio balls will cause you problems, you can use the natural filtration of the rock , sand, refugium with the addition of filter socks and skimmer you will have great success :D,

As far as skimmers go I would get a known quality brand and something rated for 80-100 gallons, there are several good skimmers on the market but you'll have to find one that suits your needs.

Lemonpeel

Ok so it's a basic sump with the Bio balls in the first chamber that the water runs through... shouls I take that section off? the Bio balls are in a fairly large, i want to say box, with a hole in the top and egg crate over the bottom to hold them. Di i want to remove those and replace them with Live rock?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I would ditch that box remove the balls and start planing the layout from there.

Lemonpeel

OK. thanks. I think that I'd still rather go with an external so I can have more room in my sump for live rock, sand, ect.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
ETSS Skimmers are nice skimmers but kinda on the expensive side and they require large pumps to make them work.

I have been keeping an eye on ebay unfortunately i missed a large ETSS a few weeks ago :(

DaveK

OK. thanks. I think that I'd still rather go with an external so I can have more room in my sump for live rock, sand, ect.

You really do not want to place LR or LS in a sump proper. Used there it such media tends to become one major dirt trap and nitrate factory. Put that stuff in the tank where it belongs or build a refugium for it.

External skimmers have some advantages, for one they are usually easier to remove and clean. OTOH they do require much more involved plumbing. For a 40 gal tank, this may be more trouble than it's worth.