equip recommendations

Maxx

Hey scooter,
thanks for the kind words, just trying to return favors done for me in the past...
I'm going HQI also, thats one of the beautiful things about E-ballasts. Total flexibility in bulbs and less power draw. I dont have any experiance to back this up, but my understanding, (from the links I provided you guys w/) is that E-ballasts wont overdrive bulbs. This means that you will replace bulbs less often. Which will also save you money in the long run. One of the other things that JBNY is discovering is that the bulbs are lasting longer than many manufacturers are saying....excerpts....
"I still have a Ushio that had about 13 months on the PFO HQI. I could test that and see what it shows."
" Ushio with 13 months and a few days measured 535 PAR on the PFO HQI. About a 13% difference than the newer Ushio that measured 617."
This in reply to the above statements...
"pretty darn impressive! especially on an HQI. kind of makes you think twice about switching the bulbs at 12 months because "they said i needed to."
JBNY's response..
"I think the lamps are rated for about 7,800 hours. Don't know where that figure is from though. We generally replace our lamps at about the 3,285 hr mark. That's with the lamp running 9 hours a day for a year."
All of this can be found here....http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254667&perpage=25&pagenumber=15 bottom third of the page.
For the record, running your bulbs for 12 hours a day will get you 4380 hours on a bulb in one year. IMO this makes the inital cost of E-ballasts much more acceptable. After 2 years in bulb replacements alone, (not needing) the E-ballast should have begun to pay for itself. But again, I havent had any personal experiance w/ this. Thats the plan, I hope the ballasts cooperate

:D
Anyway, hope this helps...
Nick

Scooterman

Nick.. I have a question, I was looking at the PFO pendants for HIQ, I see where you can order just that & I'm assuming I could get & IceCap MH electronic Ballast that would work with it. I was wondering what you thought of the set-up being you already have PFO? I'm not sure what bulb to get either, I like the looks of the BlueLine 10k it is whiter than most, any ideas on which bulb would fit that description? I plan on setting up a 250 pendant due to the lack of room in my canopy already. I was going blueline because they are the lowest amperage draw but also lower Par ratings, IceCaps I also like a little more current draw but better Par ratings.

Maxx

I'm actually going w/ two Sunlight Supply Bluewave IV ballasts....http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aquarium/products/ballasts.shtml...These use Icecap ballasts...I'll also be using the Reef Optix III reflector....http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aquarium/products/reflectors.shtml
I dont actually have a PFO set up. Currently I'm using one side of an OLD dual 175 watt magnetic MH set up, but thats going to be used for something else when I get the 58 set up. I'm also going to be going w/ two 95 w VHO actinics to cover the blue spectrum.
I went this particular way because I feel comfortable in most aspects of DIY-ing EXCEPT for electrical. I got zapped way too many times as a kid working in a LFS because of faulty wiring, and see several fires now as a paramedic student caused by faulty wiring. This is one area where I personally will pay extra money for somebody else to do the work for me...plus these get a 5 year warranty...and they're plug and play. While we're on the subjuct I ordered these from Vince @ www.oceanencounter.com and got a great deal...highly reccommend them. They arrive tomorrow.:D
The plan is to mount the pendants via eye bolts under the movable wooden box in my canopy set up. This is done because I saw thread where several people mentioned that their lighting got hot enough to scorch and char the wood of their canopy. Dont want to have this happen to me.
was looking at the PFO pendants for HIQ, I see where you can order just that & I'm assuming I could get & IceCap MH electronic Ballast that would work with it.
Yeah, actually PFO makes a wiring adapter in order to plug the HQI mini pendant into an Icecap ballast. But that requires wiring, (simple though it may be) and I dont wanna be responsible for that.
I'm not sure what bulb to get either, I like the looks of the BlueLine 10k it is whiter than most, any ideas on which bulb would fit that description?
Well to be honest w/ you I'm looking seriously at either the XDE 10ks (XM's DE bulb) or the Coral Vue 10K DE. The Coral Vue has a lower PAR rating, (I'm not sure how much having a DE reflector will offset this.), I like the color better and its ALOT cheaper. But the PAR rating on the XM 10k (SE) is really close to the 65k Iwasakis. I've just heard that the XMs break easily, and I want to see how long they last and how reliable they really are before I commit to them. The color is certainly acceptable, the VHO's will contribute to the appearance, and the PAR is amazing so I would like to go w/ the XDE if things work out right... I'm not really needing them just yet as the tank is set up yet so I've got a little bit of time to figure it all out.
hope this helps...
Nick

Scooterman

Well, I'm not in a rush either, so I'll continue to read on, whew!
THought I've already read enough LOL!
Thanks for the info Maxx!

Maxx

BTW,
My Sunlight Supply Bluewave IV's arrived today along w/ the Reef Optix III HQI DE pendants!!! These things are smokin cool!!! Cant wait to finish my set up and get em plugged in!!!!
Nick

Maxx

I will...but right now everything is still in the box....
The DIY thread for dummies, (My people!!!!) will be posted as soon as I get the stand done.....
Gotta have a happy ending Ya know!:D
Nick

Scooterman

Well, sign me up for that DIY for dummies because I don't know how many times one small project turns out to be way more than I've ever bargand for.
:D

Maxx

Well, sign me up for that DIY for dummies because I don't know how many times one small project turns out to be way more than I've ever bargand for.
I'm gonna call it DIY for dummies because I've learned so much in the l;ast couple of months researching how I'm gonna do all this, and I never knew how to do it before. My dad wasnt real handy around the house, so I didnt grow up knowing this stuff....I can discuss firearms til we're all blue in the face and bored, but I never learned any carpentry etc. So this will be geared towards people who want to do this sorta thing, but don't know how to...
I hafta apologize to JKS1 because I've totally hi-jacked this thread....
I'm sorry man:rolleyes:
Nick

Scooterman

Hey Maxx, FireArms? I wish I had a bigger collection! :D
Just put my Sako 75ss 300Mg to the test with a Swarovski 6X18!
It can make one nice ragged hole at 100yrds.