equip recommendations

jks1

Hey guys, i have a 75g tank and stand laying around begging to become a SPS and clam tank. I have nothing right now but the tank (not drilled) and the stand. If you had about $2000 to spend on it, what equipment by name would you include. I'm thinking of a sump, skimmer, calc reactor, refugium, and lights. Would you drill the tank or go with an overflow. This is the first time i have planned this far in advance and want to dot all the i's and cross the t's.

Pro_builder

I would run a Rea Sea Berlin Skimmer, 2 M/H 250 watts with 6500 bulbs, 220 watts Actinic 03 PC bulbs, Kent Marine Ca Reactor, Refug (Definately), and a Sump. Drill the tank to eliminate any chance of loss of siphon.
Just my 2 cents

Craig Manoukian

I would get it drilled and do a DIY Durso Stand Pipe for the sump/refugium.

A 20 gallon tall sump with a titanium heater and an Aqua Medic Turbofloater 1000 skimmer with an Ocean Runner 2700 pump ($184 at Marine Depot). I would plumb the sump ito a 30 gallon refugium with another titanium heater for redundency. Size thee return pump adequately to handle the head you will overcome to get back to the display tank.

Have never used a Calc Reactor but there are quite a few DIY models that work well. I believe ReefLady has a DIY reactor. HTH

I would opt for two Hamilton 250 watt MHs with 10,000k Ushio bulbs and supplement with 03 Actnic lights

.:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Scooterman

I'd Start with two HIQ's 250w Blueline, electronic for cost savings & effeciency, from Champion Lighting, along with a The digital timer. I'd skip on the VHO's for later. I'd drill the darn thing on both sides for 1" bulkhead on the bottom, so I could make two overflows, The returns I'd either hard plumb over the top or drill 4 holes, Two would be saved for later on a CLS, so I'd put bulkheads and plug them two. Euro reef skimmer in a 30g sump & a good Reactor would be a plus. I think with thoes plans you would be allowing for future upgrades but still getting a nice set-up. For around that price riange.
JMO!

Last edited:

jks1

Thanks guys, $2000 was a "hopefully" number. I want to do this right the first time and avoid thinking i could have done something different later.

wooddood

the wood dude
i was'nt trying to shoot you down on the $ 2000 dollar mark i just know i could spend it up real fast on just lights/cal/kaulk reactor and more live rock.it was just my personal opinion.hope i did'nt offend you,was'nt trying too.dave.

jks1

naw Wood, you didnt at all, i value your opinions thats why i asked. That number was very conservative to convince my wife to let me do it....:rolleyes:

Maxx

I would definately get the tank drilled. I would also get 250 w metal halides, but Scooterman and I disagree on manufacturers. I prefer the Icecap E-ballasts due to performance numbers from this test done here....http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1674#post1674
long thread I know, but definately helpful. I seriously reccomend reading ALL of it.
I'm not as thrilled by Champion because of a couple of things I've read here....http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234437 (not meaning to start a flame war or step on any toes...just passing on info)
If you decide not to go w/ the E-ballasts, (they are more expensive on the initial set up, but the benefits outweigh the expense in my opinion.), here is a link to an explanation about the different kinds of ballasts...http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201570
Read in conjuction w/ the first link to the bulb testing, you should be able to decide what configuration suits your needs.
One thing I've been looking more and more into is whether or not to run w/ a DSB in the tank. I've decided to run w/o on my upcoming 58 gallon. There are several people here who dont run DSB's. They either go bare bottom (Tank Girl) or run w/ a very shallow bed of either crushed coral or sand (Mojoreef).
Here is a link to (yet) another long discussion, this one concerning DSB's...http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28982
This is the thread that caused me to decide that I should at the very least run any DSB remote, (meaning in a seperate sump/container that is able to be taken off line should it require maintenance).
Since reading that thread I have stumbled into another option recently that is the use of Starboard, (cutting board essentially..) as a bottom for the tank....here is a link to another ridiculously long thread, you might find it interesting also....http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=223301
BTW, I dont neccessarily reccomend reading all these threads that I've linked you to in one sitting, your body will go numb and the wife will think you've been kidnapped.
:D
Finally as far as plumbing goes, you need to figure out what you want to keep, (you should have this figured out by the time you decide on your lighting preference...) as it will dictate you plumbing needs as well. I'm planning on keeping SPS and clams, w/ at least one anemone, so flow will be an important thing for my tank. Here is a link to a thread about plumbing...
http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33260

No more links for now, sorry to have hit you w/ so many...:explode:
Hope all this helps,
Nick

Maxx

here are tha plans for my upcoming 58, might give you some ideas...might not....

Attachments

• tank plan1c.jpg
    tank plan1c.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Maxx

here is the back of the tank w/ the plumbin in more detail...I apologize for the crudity of the drawings, I just recently learned how to use paint so I'm not that good w/ it....again these are just my plans, might help, might not...

Mary

Evil Angel
Maxx,
great info that you took the time to give!

jks,
I have a 75 with a 20 gallon sump and really wish I would of plumbed a refug to it or a bigger sump! You're getting alot of great advice here from all!

jks1

i really appreciate you all taking the time, i'm off to read some of those threads, thanks a bunch

Wood- i think she bought it!

Scooterman

Awesome Job Maxx. As far as lighting goes, I prefer HIQ, I have IceCap for VHO and say yes they perform very well, I was looking at current draw which Blueline is the lowest but there are any number out there that are excellent Including IceCap. As for as beauty the PFOs are also awesome but for every good thing is a trade off, in most cases, personal preference is the winner, they are almost all nice to have. as far as Champion Lighting they helped me several times, I had no problems, also when Marine Depot was out of certain item, the had Champion send it to me LOL! As for as Maxxes other diagrams, there awesome!
Thanks for such details!