emerald crab breeding question

nightfire76

hey guys,not long ago i had two emerald crabs,one died out of the blue and everything else was and is ok.....sal. 1.026 and other levels at or near 0,couple weeks later,maybe less i moved some rocks around and i noticed a small whitish baby looking crab,no more then half a match stick end in size,almost didnt see him....i was wondering if by chance did the emerald crab lay eggs,they hatched and then the emerald crab died after laying the eggs,i have nothing else in my tank that could have had babies that look like that....that i know of anyway,thanks guys

nightfire76

yeah i dont get it either,usually fankie,al and many others would chime in,im very curious to know,my 2 cents arent worth much lol

Hey Mario,
I have actually witness emerald crabs spawning in my aquarium. Emerald crabs do not lay eggs so to speak, they carry them in a pouch under their bellies. When it is time for them to release their fry, they climb to the highest point in the aquarium and open the pouch on their bellies and release the fry. (Yes I have seen this in my own aquarium) The fry are very very little and unless you have the right equipment to raise them, fish or no fish, they will die. It is just like rearing clownfish. They have to go through a metamorphosis. I have tried to rear some on some occasions, but it has been a trial and error and for now always error because I do not know what they eat. Rotifers, nanno algae, bbs? I do not know.
So it is very unlikely that what you are seeing is a child of your emerald crabs. Most likely a hitch hiker that was hiding in one of your live rocks.

My LR came with some teeny tiny hitchhiker crabs. They were on the newspaper and I almost threw them out, but the kids wanted me to put them in the tank. One of them was so small, he could have wrapped himself around the end of a ball point pen! No idea what kind they are yet, they were clear when they arrived, and extremely tiny. Have only seen one since, and it has taken up underneath a feather worm.

nightfire76

um.......again though i havent added anything in like 9 months and i dont think there are any kinds of crabs that stay that teeny tiny