Electrocuting Mojanos

Paul B

Someone on another forum posted that on the model he was building he had to replace the graphite electrode in a few minutes so I did a test. I ran these two electrodes in salt water continousely for one hour. As you can see by the picture, there is no decay on either electrode. The graphite is slightly discolored because it is still wet.

IMG_0498.jpg

erawling

I really like the concept,but I wonder about the effects of adding chlorine too the water.How long does it stay in the tank water?

Paul B

How long does it stay in the tank water?

I really can't answer that and I would worry if I used it in a nano. In my 100 gallon tank I have used it extensively and have not noticed any problems.
I tell people to just push the button when the probe is in contact with the mojano, this way it is only on for about 5 or 10 seconds.
I use ozone in my tank at a much higher concentration than chlorine is being emitted from this device.
Chlorine like ozone is a reactive gas and gets "used up" as it contacts any organics. I am also sure most of the chlorine gas is released at the surface.

Martian

I think the voltage/current/bubbles is probably a big overkill. 6 or 9 volts gives plenty of chlorine and as it is pure chlorine a bubble or 2 should kill a small anemone. Your nose told you that it has an effect on a big land mammal :)
Great system though, almost wish I had some mojanos :)

Paul B

The chlorine is emitted from the positive electrode which is the graphite and it is a very small amount. It emits about twice as much hydrogen. I really don't know why the hydrogen is killing the mojanos but It is completely disintegrating them.
I have shipped about 20 of these so far and so far no one said anything about the chlorine affecting anything.

Martian

Removing hydrogen ions as hydrogen leaves hydroxide ions behind. You're making them a little caustic soda bath, WAY more vicious than limewater.
I like it!!!

Martian

Hi Paul

They hate :angel2: = I love :LOL:

Sorry, retired chemistry lecturer coming out in me :square:

Been reading your tank history too. Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on a wonderful and honest tank. Way back I ran a coldwater sea tank in Scotland with a lot of similarities (other than Carnoustie was the local water/wildlife source). Great fun and I learned a lot and didn't kill too much, now I'll be trying to do a hot one in Taiwan.

Kudos and many happy mojano exterminations

Ian (Martian)

Paul B

Thanks Martian. My local New York tank has been runing longer than my reef, but not exactly continousely. There have been times when there was nothing in it for long periods of time. Now there is just a burrfish, some shrimp, snails and crabs, but it is summer and it will become stocked again. I usually give the stuff away as it can't go in my reef or it gets too big.
Have a great day.
Paul

Paul B

Here is my newest model. The shrink tubing is just for looks to hide the solder joints inside the tube.
I love zapping these things
IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

Paul B

My wife who has no interest in reefing has found a new hoby, killing mojanos.
She wanted to use the zapper so I told her to leave me some mojanos because some people who come over like to try the thing.
She zapped all of my mojanos in a few minutes. Now I have to find some and feed them to make them grow so I can have other people Zap them.
My daughter loves this also.

Adalius

So are you selling these, if so where and for how much :p Got an aiptasia that's almost 4" and survived aiptasia x, kalk paste, and nothing that eats aiptasia will touch this one (but wiped out my other ones pretty well).

Paul B

I am having wierd occurances when I zap mojanos. It seems that I have more amphipods than I thought because whenever I zap a mojano, I see one or two amphipods running out of the holes near the mojano. But the wierd thing is that these stomatella, or shelless snails, seem to be atttracted to the zapper.
I didn't even know I had so many of these stomatella's but almost everywhere I zap, one of these "snails" comes practically running towards the commotion. They stop just before the mojano that is getting zapper and try to touch it with their antenna.
They don't like the feel of it as they pull back their antenna but they stay right there next to it and "hang out".
This happens about half the times I zap something.
I can't explain it. I am not sure if they are attracted to the electricity of the hydrogen gas.
Also those banded tentacles that you see sticking out of the holes which are mostly brittle stars, reach out to grab pieces of destroyed mojano. It seems that they only like to eat them after they are cooked as they never touch the living mojanos.

You can see a stomatella just under the chromis, he came out to "watch me zap a mojano right where he is
IMG_0726.jpg