Electrical Box . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No I'm wanting EACH outlet "Switchable". That was just the type of "layout" I had in mind up there. I can get a fairly inexpensive "Rack-Mount" type unit but I was looking more for something that mounts vertically with plugs & switches on the front panel so I can mount it flush against the back wall of the cabinet. It may not be readily available.

As far as ROOM goes I am some room to work with. Not a LOT but more than enough for what I am wanting.

Right now it's one MAJORLY Heavy Duty power strip plugged into the wall and coming inside the cabinet. The into that Power Strip (nothing else) are TWO Heavy Duty Power Strips each totaling the things I have listed up there (plug-wise). I just wanted something with more outlets and possibly switched so I can turn this on and than off as I wish and not have to turn off the whole strip. Right now I have power-heads, pumps and skimmer on one strip and lights on another. In the NEAR FUTURE this will go onto a Controller but not until I get some of the rest of my essential equipment bought and installed. For now I just need it Neat, organized and SAFE!!!

:)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I just talked with an "Electrician" friend and he's going to try and come over one day soon. DANG I wish I had thought of this BEFORE I put water in this BEAST!

Can I get a GRRRRRRRR????

cracker

Allen , I'm in the process of planning a dedicated circuit from my main panel as well. Not so difficult to do with some expert advise. I'd like to tag along to see whatwe can learn. !st how many amps are all your equipment pulling? For example withh all my lights pumps etc I 'll be drawing > 16 amps. Well over the safety margin of the 20 amp breaker I'm using.

Last edited:

mps9506

:lurk:
I'm interested in what you do here Al. I moving into an ancient house built in historic downtown Wilmington. House was built in the mid to late 1800's...

ReefGuy69

This should work or you Al. I got the idea from Melevs site. It cost me like $20-$25. It can be mounted pretty much anywhere. I would mount it under your stand or in my case i mounted it right in one of my drawers. Its tucked away nicely. Keeps the cords organized and neat. Offers alot of plugs with lighted on and off switches. I labeled each switch. Which helps if someone like my wife needs to turn something on or off when im not around, now she knows which is which. I took some pics of my set up. I think it will work in your case. Its called a Power Station and is made my American DJ. I bought it at a local guitar and music shop.

Here is the front view
PowerStrip002.jpg

Here is the back view (you can see there is plenty of room in between the plugs.
PowerStrip001.jpg

here is the front view with lights dimmed to show light up switches.
PowerStrip003.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Maybe you can mod it and shave off the ends?

I'm going to head out to town later this morning (once the ICE and SNOW melt off the highway some) and try to locate one. If I can get my hands on one locally I can measure the "main body" of it and see if "Modding" is an option.

:)

ReefGuy69

Al i can measure mine when i get home and let you know the dimensions of it if your unable to travel out. I was going to do the same if i didnt have enough drawer room. But luckily i didnt need to. They are thin metal so they can easily be cut off if needed. ill post the measurements when i get home for ya.