Electric Flame Scallop

slakker

He's kinda mobile, squirts around the tank... :)

I got him today... hope he lives!

2268554264_ebb73b139a.jpg

The little blue lines on his lips are actually electrical sparks that ripple back and forth...

naperenterprise

Electric sparks? No S@it!
Thats really cool! Will it hurt other animals with the electricity?

He's kinda mobile, squirts around the tank... :)

I got him today... hope he lives!

2268554264_ebb73b139a.jpg

The little blue lines on his lips are actually electrical sparks that ripple back and forth...

slakker

Not as far as I can tell... I'm not 100% sure it's even electricity, maybe photo florescences? A hermit got too close and it got one of it's legs caught for a while before freeing it self, didn't get harmed...

I wonder if the "light" is a hunting mechanism to attract prey in the wild?

This isn't my video, but found it on youtube and this is what it looks like...

YouTube - Electric Flame Scallop

JWarren

Before my tanks went down in the hurricanes down here, I had a few in my 55 gal. I would add live brine to the tank and the clams lights would attract the brine. They would get caught up in the tenticles and drug inside the clam.

I would also spot feed them my blender mix as well. The longest I was ever able to keep one alive was about 1 1/2 years.

lcstorc

They are very difficult to keep in captivity and are on many lists of animals that should be kept in the ocean. Do some internet searches and find what they are most likely to eat so you can do your best to keep it alive. Most simply starve in aquariums.
Kudos to you John for keeping one that long. That is very impressive.

slakker

Before my tanks went down in the hurricanes down here, I had a few in my 55 gal. I would add live brine to the tank and the clams lights would attract the brine. They would get caught up in the tenticles and drug inside the clam.

I would also spot feed them my blender mix as well. The longest I was ever able to keep one alive was about 1 1/2 years.

Cool... was that the only way you fed them? Any other suggestions, I really want to maximize their chances of survival...

CMG

According to my trustee Marine Inverebrates book it says that they need a lot of food to survive and it should be phytoplankton. They like dim light and can be picked on by mobile inverts such as crabs, sars, whelks and some fish may pick a them also. Hope this may help...

JWarren

Thanks Lynn, I saw your post. :)

Slakker,

My blender mix has phyto in it as well as reef plus. Also, clams, shrimp, squid, sea vegies, krill, brine shrimp, whiting, octopus and garlic. Who knows what the clam liked best, maybe it was just the phyto and the reef plus that did the trick. I know they are filter feeders but I never saw one eject a live brine shrimp. They need a protein rich environment. If you are planning on keeping him in a reef only tank, it won't last long.

slakker

I have a mixed tank, I feed a mix a pellets, flakes and frozen food to the fishes with suppliments of lipovit and immuvit. And a 1/2 squirt of phyto concentrate into the water. I hope that should have enough dissolved organics in the water for it to filter feed. I'm also trying to squirt the frozen food upstream of current to see if it's tentacles will catch a stray shrimp.

I've never tried making my own mix yet. Don't know much about it actually... is it worth while?

JWarren

Saves me a bundle of money.

I use aqua star mixed seafood. 3.99
Whiting fillet 4.99
Some dried krill 2.00
Two little fishes sea vegies (couple sheets) 1.50?
half a bottle (small) reef plus 2.50
half bottle Phyto 2.50
two tbs. garlic liquid - Seachem .15?

About $18.00. I get about 12 to 14 sandwich size zip lock bags from this mix. Lasts a long time!

The mixed seafood and whiting fillet are in the grocery's seafood freezer. I thaw it to where it is still slightly frozen. Thaw it out too much and you will have soup very fast! Keeping it a little frozen, gets it to the chunks sizes you want. Do the dry stuff first - sea vegies and krill.

I use a food processor for fish food and a blender for reef food. Your clam may like a fine blended mix, where fish like larger chunks. You just gotta use a little common sense and watch what is being eaten and what is not.

My fish must like it, they run to me when they see the turkey baster. My tank never looked so good since I started doing my own mix. I try to put a little something for everyone in it.

ds69

Congrats on him still being alive ! Has he grown at all? Out of curiosity do you have a problem with him knocking stuff over?

Kevin

slakker

He's about 1/3 larger... once he found the overhang where he is now, he's never moved for about 4 months... So no stuff getting knocked over...

I do have a sand sifting gobby that almost buries him once in a while... he manages to squirt the sand away with open/close action. I've only had to rescue him once or twice...

PEMfish

People might say ( this is not personal- sorry if it seems so ) that it is an animal to be left in th ocean, but weren't all at one time? When this hobby started it was carp kept in a clay pot for a couple of days until they died. Maybe there right, delicate animals already suffer from us...
Pave the way man...

ds69

Lol I agree with that statement. You don't know until you try it....There are countless times that this comes into play. sorry for changing the subject to birds but they say you can't mix parakeets with cockatiels....I have a large mixed cage and they both breed happily and there is no problems. I have a neon dottyback and 3 shrimp......although dottybacks are known to kill ornamental shrimp. Most people say anemones are difficult to keep but I would have to disagree in the fact that mine seems to grow faster than anything in the tank. All you can do is learn from your mistakes and do everything that you can to provide the best conditions. Someone had to try it at one point.........Lol sorry for rambling...

slakker

Unfortunately, I didn't know about the short life span when I got him... but I'm stuck with him now and damn it, he's gonna live!!! Hahhaha...

But I've been doing a lot of reading since, and the history of reef keeping as recent as the 50's and 60's was basically all about buying your specimens, take them home, and go buy more in 3 or 4 weeks after they died...

However, I'm definitely not advocating buying specimens that can't survive in a home aquaria or buying specimens that'll decimate a local ecology...

This is where the Internet can really help... if by chance or accident, I'm doing something right, others can learn and the survivability of these specimens will increase... who knows, maybe even a comercial breeder can tank raise! :)