Eggs from something??

Stevenmi

Well found this today on a little group of protopalythoa I picked up...wonder what they are?

The bunch to the left was smushed by my dumb thumb...they screamed godzirra-thumb!!

Steve

Attachments

• hmmm.JPG
    hmmm.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 135

Stevenmi

Thats what I was thinking....This could be really neat or scary depending on the type.

My gut tells me Whater ever put it there was thinking they would have a quick food source....:cry1:

Into the QT tank they go...

Last edited:

Stevenmi

hahaha...Witfull, No rabbit fish here either!!

I did find a cool nudi site...don't worry all g-rated.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/

Update:
When I placed them about 1/4" from the glass it allowed me to use a doublet 16x coin loop to got a really good look at them. Not eggs...but some sort of filter feeding mass. I am trying to work out a way to get some "very very close up" pics for everyone....stunning!!

Stevenmi

Ok..I think I have something for everyone to look at.

The first pic was using my digital at 10x zoom with a 16x coin loop.
It shows a center mouth with a series of openings surrounding the mass. I can actually see the mass "pumping" and water flow.

In the second picture note that the mass that was smushed by my thumb has re-organized and all the "tear drop" orange parts have surrounded a central mouth peice. Neat stuff...still dont know what the heck it is..lol

Attachments

• VERYMAC.JPG
    VERYMAC.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 117
  • REPAIR.JPG
    REPAIR.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 115

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Terriiiiiiiiiiiiii:angel3:

Steve

Yup, some kind of egg case from a mollusk. Nudes do not look like that usually, they are more circular in pattern. However, there are some species that have cases like the image. IMHO they are not nudi egg cases

C63-359481.jpg

nudieggs.jpg

Boomer

OK, everyone get out their dart gun and shoot at me :lol: :) > How dare I miss-ID one o my favorite groups. I guess it was all the excitement when I saw Terri here :D

Yes, they are Tunicates you can even see the in-outlet siphons. The are Botyrllids, as in or simlar to Botrylloides nigrum. These are Compound Ascidians. I will now shoot myself in the foot ;)

http://zoo.bio.ufpr.br/ascidia/botrnigrum.htm

Thank YOU Steve and reef. Steve you figured out on your own, nice job.:thumbup:

Stevenmi

^5 everyone, GREAT pic and ID boomer...back into main tank they go!!

Botrylloides nigrum...who'da thunk it...

On a side note..I suggest everyone get a magnifying glass or coin loop and look at the pods and cridders in your tanks/substrate...some really really cool stuff. Thanks to all for helping.

Stevenmi

ok....so, have been watching this stuff and honestly it is kinda worrying me.

Is it possible that we have preditory trunicates? The jelly like case they are in is starting to cover the zoo. Also it is quite mobile in nature. Note the young ones...Because they have been moved to a "safe" tank I am not to scared. I am going to post these buggers to zoaID now as they sure appear to be a something ungood.

Steve

Attachments

• strange.JPG
    strange.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Tis is getting interesting! just taging along and hopfully learning somthing here :) Thanks for the great pic's too Stevenmi!

Boomer

Yes, they could do/be that. You may want to list them as Botyrllid Ascidians/ Sea Squirts