EDM's RSM 250

prvrbs35

Hello,
I have been lurking here off and on. Purchased an used RSM 130 in March 2013. Fully stocked with fish and coral. By the end of the year most of the coral had withered away. Lighting? Neglect? Both? Anyway, I ended up purchasing Steve's LEDs in late 2014. Started added frags and spent more time doing husbandry. Much improvement from the past. I have always wanted to go "big." Could not pass up a find on Craigslist.

*March 5, 2017 - Purchased used RSM 250 & stand with LR, sand, HOB protein skimmer (will not use), PhosBan Reactor 150 (not sure if this will be used), various pumps, internal circulation pump, Steve’s LEDs for $400. Could not pass this up.

*March 5, 2017 – Placed LR in tank. Filled with 25 gallons new saltwater & 5 gallons from established RSM 130. Circulated water with pump placed inside tank. Not enough water to reach overflow. Pumps not hooked up and needed new fittings to install return nozzle.

*March 9, 2017 – added 10 gallons of new saltwater and 5 gallons from established RSM 130.

*March 13, 2017 – rinsed used sand and placed in tank.

*March 16, 2017 – installed media rack and filter floss. Moved Purigen and Chemi-Pure from RSM 130 for bio-loading. High flow pump installed w/new fittings. Low flow pump to right side installed. Placed Tunze 9002 protein skimmer. Cyano on rock, sand and back wall.

*March 17, 2017 – Transferred two turbo snails and hermit crab from RSM 130. Transferred LR from RSM 130. Transferred three head frogspawn coral.

*March 19, 2017 – ammonia 0.25 ppm. Added three turbo snails and 6 hermit crabs. Added 5 gallons new saltwater. Cyano clearing up.

*March 23, 2017 – Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0. LFS said I could transfer the damsel into the 250 with these results. Transferred Blue/gold damsel from RSM 130. Decided to transfer more from my RSM 130. Transferred spotted watchman goby. Transferred two peppermint shrimp. Transferred two nassarius snails. Transferred more LR with coral attached. Transferred seven head frogspawn coral.

*March 24, 2017 - Damsel lurking in the rocks. Goby new home unknown. We'll see tonight at feeding if the goby and shrimp come out. Everything else looking good.

Plan to install a 20 gallon sump. I have an AquaMaxx WS-1 from my RSM 130 which may be underrated for my set up. It will have to do for now. I also have a BRS single reactor that will be transferred over.

GregT's RSM250 http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/gregts-rsm250.56404/page-26#post-1227831 encouraged me to cut an opening between the center wall of my stand to install a sump. Like the white paint as well.

Last edited:

prvrbs35

*April 7, 2017 - Damsel and goby doing fine. Five turbos, seven hermit crabs, two nassarius snails and two peppermint shrimp actively keeping things clean. No water change performed. It has been one month since starting up this reef. Coral appears to be doing well. Only RO/DI top offs being performed.
Purchased 20 gallon Aqueon yesterday during $1.00 gallon sale. Would not fit in the cabinet. Opened up the opening in the center divider. Still could not maneuver the tank in place. Ended up cutting out the divider. Was told that the support for the display tank is at the corners of the stand. 20 gallon sump fits under the cabinet. Just need to go to local glass shop to get some baffles cut. Basic sump set up with filter sock and skimmer in first chamber. Sand/mud w/chaeto in the middle and return on the end.
IMG_7321.JPG

Last edited:

prvrbs35

Glimpse of the display tank w/temporary 20 gallon sump.
Anyone with a sump on their RSM 250. Place overflow syphon in the center chamber and return to low flow pump chamber on right side. I notice stagnant water at the top in this chamber.
How do you rotate images?

IMG_7323.JPG

prvrbs35

First water change today. Found an interesting critter in my media basket. I noticed worm like object from my previous RSM 130. I noticed it last week within one of my rocks in the RSM 250. Is this a friend or foe?
Photo update of my sump. Still routing wires and installing other odds and ends. Everything seems to be going well.
Friend or Foe.jpg
IMG_7369-2.JPG
IMG_7370-3.jpg

prvrbs35

Brittle Sea Star - Friend.
It was hiding inside a rock formation last week. I kept seeing tentacles from various locations within the rock. Never saw the whole body until today when I discovered it in my media basket.
Must have hitchhiked on a piece of coral I purchased sometime ago that was attached to a small rock/object. Must have grown over time?

prvrbs35

Fragged my Frogspawn today. Originally purchased one head June 2015. First time frag was in February when I fragged one piece with three heads. Today, fragged one two head and a single head.
I like to grow my reef from small frags and watch the progress. Takes time but it is rewarding. My Candy Cane coral heads are currently splitting into two.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

IMG_7380.JPG
Before fragging
IMG_7392.JPG

IMG_7393.JPG

IMG_7394.JPG
After fragging

Last edited: