ecoxotic par38, has anyone tried them?

Gfoot2000

so im thinking of getting the 20k 3b/2w bulb and i was wondering if anyone has any ups or downs about the lamps, im getting it mainly cuz its 21watts

chipmunkofdoom2

Haven't used them personally, but they're using 3W Cree's, so they definitely have the power. The big issue with bulbs like this is coverage. They're simple to install and simple to use, but they lack coverage. Personally, unless I was lighting a pico, I'd save up a few extra bucks and get an AI Sol. This thing is pendant style and cranks out some incredible PAR.

There's nothing wrong with the Par38 style LED lights except their limitations. You won't light a huge area and penetration will be limited. You'll pay about 4x more to get an AI Sol, but I think you get much more for your money with the Sol. If all you need is a small area lit, the Par38 will do just fine.

Saltmaniac

so im thinking of getting the 20k 3b/2w bulb and i was wondering if anyone has any ups or downs about the lamps, im getting it mainly cuz its 21watts

Yes, I have one over a small frag section in my sump. I've had good success but it is only illuminating a 10" x 10" area.

reefyfish1

I am using the Orphek PR-25 and like it on my tank. I have two of them and an ML-7 moonlight. I get good coverage. I also have them aimed well to avoid lighting the front glass which reduces the algae scraping..... :)

They have some good info. If you are worried about the coverage you can go with their PR-156.

Here is a comparison of their LED vs a MH....Good info. It also has info on Par 38 bulbs.....

orphek

rgfast

I'm using the blues for suplent lighting on frag system, they are producing 400 par at 24" from bulbs

jpsika08

What did you decide to do gfoot?

Reefyfish1, thanks again for the link over at RC, I know that tank, was keeping track of him until I saw that it was a job to keep with it LOL.
I hadn't seen the LED lights he used for it WOW, it looks impressive! and incredible how far the tank has advanced since I saw it last time, thank for sharing.

Orphek is the brand he used for that tank right?