Easy in-tank frag rack solution!

InLimbo87

Ran across these on another forum just a few days ago and figured I'd post it up here for any that would find this helpful.

They're called mag racks, and are basically frag racks designed to be magneted (is that even a word) anywhere to the glass in your tank. I like the design/functionality, and will be ordering one once I start fragging my tank (which at the rate its filling up will probably be in no time flat)

Here's the link : Mag-Racks | The Magnetic Coral Frag Rack

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've used the "Soap Dish" method too Daniel. Then I found out they lose their "umph" after prolonged exposure. I'm switching all of my racks over to the Mag-Racks. I'm getting mine via Oceans Wonders because my LFS is going to start carrying them. :)

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
all that above rack is, is eggcrate with magnets glued to it....$15-32 bucks!!! i bet i can make it for $5 for the larger one...

InLimbo87

Where would you find magnets that would work with this type of application? Are they all aquarium-safe?

PEMfish

Well, the magnets are rubber coated so to not scratch the glass or rust, etc..
Ring magnet is probably best suited for this.

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
They are BOTH inside and outside. Gotta have something for them to "Attract" inside the tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
now THAT'S what we call a SCORE!! :)

That company has just about ANY kind of magnet you can think of :) And some you can't :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It looks like he's using regular "disk" magnets and casting them into an "Acrylic" mold and inserting the "Egg-crate" into the wet set up. Looks pretty easy IF you have all the right components :) I like the black egg-crate. Stands out less in my tank with Black backgrounds.

InLimbo87

That's the thing that makes them so attractive to me. They look like a very functional piece, yet would go cleanly into the setup (whereas my DIY work would surely look thrown together)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If I can find a single piece of "Black Egg-Crate" I'd experiment with something like that. Right now the white just really stands out against my black back wall.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
*LOL* Yeah I found that... but I meant locally.... making it easier to obtain it without S/H charges on each order. Also it needs to be CAST from Black instead of "Coated". I think that is just coated. Key word = Think