earthquakes?

caligal

living in socal...i realized the other day that i live in the earthquake capital of the world and have 3 glass boxes filled with water and fish in my house...
do people earthquake proof their tanks???
is there any way to earthquake proof a tank???

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I would think there is NOT a way to earthquake proof your tank. I live in TORNADO ALLEY and I've often wished there was an easy way to move my tank to an underground shelter when we hear tornado sirens.
Guess it's just not doable...but I feel your fear. Not good to think about :( :bouncebox

reefer gladness

Guess it all depends on the how big and what type of quake it is. There are a few things I think can improve our odds like having a very stout cabinet/stand, I feel better about having a solid oak cabinet compared to the particle board cabinet I bolted together. I also relocated all electronics into a separate cabinet with all the power connections up off the floor (hides everything too). Between the aquarium and the stand I cut a piece of rubber foam to absorb any imperfections from the stand. Earthquake straps on the cabinet wouldn't hurt but I haven't done that yet. Whenever I finally build my big custom tank it will be made from thicker glass than normally used (probably 3/4" vice 5/8"). Not sure what type of bracing yet, need to talk to some pros to find out what type of bracing would be strongest.

I doubt you can 'earthquake proof it'.

Any number of systems used in construction can be down sized and incorporated into a design. One factor remains....the glass. You will not add flex to it.

Camille

You can't really 'earthquake proof' but you can certainly 'make life easier/safer in case of an earthquake'. We had two large earthquakes several weeks apart (6.5 and 6.6). We live about 100km or so away from the epicentres so luckily we didn't get the full force.

Earthquake one: lost water out of the tank and power on the circuit as the water went up and over and down the wall and into the plug. It also fell onto my laptop which fried itself immediately. We cleaned up and put an extension cord on the power heads and one light. Got the plug replaced a few days later and away we went.

Earthquake two: lost water again but also lost power to the whole town for about 3 or 4 hours. Had a vortech set up so I got a little bit of circulation. FYI a small amount of water can travel great distances on a concrete floor ;-)

Here's what I have set up now:

water resistant 'raincoat' for the wall plug

taped power board to stand so it doesn't move and fall into water

zip tied power board to underside of tank stand

put all random leads/plugs into a box to keep it off the floor - has a lid to stop water splashing in

moved other electrical stuff around the corner

So basically keep heaps of old towels on hand (which if you have a fish tank you probably already have these), keep electrical stuff off the floor, stop stuff from moving (tape them down), have a plan if you loose power, get a tank with a lid.... And number one rule: DON'T go and stand next to your tank thinking you can hold it up to stop the shaking - you are precious and nothing is worth risking your life. Drop, cover, hold :spinner:

caligal

thanks for sharing those pics...thats nice to know that your tank survived that quake, i know every ones not that lucky tho :O i definitely have some electrical re-wiring to do tho and need to think about re-enforcing my stand, thanks for the advice everyone :)

lbiminiblue

Yeah I mean if the earthquake hits close to you....I don't think there's much to save the tank. I could imagine the rockscape could tumble apart and scratch the glass/ crush corals and fish...you could bolt the rocks together with acrylic rods. I'd be inclined to think that if an earthquake did any serious damage to a house, the tank would be damaged severely, if not shattered or ruined.

Each area has its own natural disasters to worry about huh? Me? I've got hurricanes- losing power for up to weeks at a time, depending on the strength. So far, it's been a quiet season. Hope it stays like that. Best of luck with securing your tank!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have a back-up generator & I've tested it: It works GREAT!
A few Winters back (didn't have a tank then) We had an ICE STORM and lost electric power for almost 2 weeks.
I have a wood burning fireplace to keep the room my tank is in warm, and with the generator ready, I think I'm good EXCEPT for tornados. I've seen 1st hand what they have done not too far from where I live. Nothing can save a tank (or house) from them.
I'd advise having a generator....our tanks can't sustain life very long without power.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
And we do have earthquake activity here also....I've felt a few trimmers and it was a VERY STRANGE FEELING.
I guess we prepare when we can & hope for NO TANK DAMAGE :fingerx:
I doubt my home owners insurance would replace my tank :(

kyle4201

^^ You felt some trimmers? lol. Got my hair cut the other day, felt some trimmers myself, .lol. JK
Each area has its own natural disasters to worry about huh? Me? I've got hurricanes- losing power for up to weeks at a time, depending on the strength. So far, it's been a quiet season. Hope it stays like that. Best of luck with securing your tank! , where at in S. Fla? Im in Dania Beach,, have we had this conversation? lollol

lbiminiblue

^^ You felt some trimmers? lol. Got my hair cut the other day, felt some trimmers myself, .lol. JK
Each area has its own natural disasters to worry about huh? Me? I've got hurricanes- losing power for up to weeks at a time, depending on the strength. So far, it's been a quiet season. Hope it stays like that. Best of luck with securing your tank! , where at in S. Fla? Im in Dania Beach,, have we had this conversation? lollol
Nah I don't remember. South Miami, more specifically dade county.

caligal

o man power loss is scary! i guess it can happen anywhere tho...i need to get a back up generator within the next little while, thats been something iv been thinking about too!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
They don't take up too much room in garage storage and a very good "anti-tank crash" insurance policy.
Here's mine when had it out for use:
null_zps1cd79fd6.jpg
[/IMG]
Hope you give getting one some serious consideration.

lbiminiblue

o man power loss is scary! i guess it can happen anywhere tho...i need to get a back up generator within the next little while, thats been something iv been thinking about too!

Well of the earthquake / storm is bad enough, then yes a generator will be needed. Thing is I don't know if one can support both a reef tank and basic home needs at the same time. We've never gone through an outage with the reef tank.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Well, forget the refrigerator & freezer if the power goes off....the tank shall still be running. (Including the tank heater and the chiller.) :LOL:

Phixer

Perhaps I can help you as Ive lived in Japan for 7 years and SD CA. I have been thru many earthquakes including the 2011 Tsunami and Fukushima meltdown. For about 30 days after that quake the ground continued to tremor. Each night was another small quake. A few tips:

1) Use an acrylic aquarium, much stronger and resilient when it comes to earthquakes. Glass will crack and rupture catastrophically if the ground moves enough.
2) Use anti-racking gussets on your stand. Many stands use straight pillars for support. Although they are strong vertically they will fold like a house of cards when the water starts sloshing back and forth. People dont consider this when designing most stands.
3) Have a back up generator or UPS when the power goes out.

Following these rules has made all the difference for me.

Last edited: