Dying zoo's

Emperor559

Ok so a couple of months ago all of my zoo's died off for no particular reason that I have been able to find. It seems to be only affecting the zoo's as well. 2 weeks ago I put a 3 polyp frag of green zoo's in there and now it is melting away too. I have searched the tank for nudibranchs but I have seen nothing. PH has been a little low but that was nothing out of the ordinary before. When I say low I mean 8.0. I don't know if the PH is swinging too much throughout the day but it seems like it would affect more than just the zoo's if that were the case. Ammonia 0, Nitrite <.3, Nitrate <10, Phosphate <.25, Salinity 1.025, Ca 365, Mg 1350
I know my calcium is a little low. My frogspawn is growing a new head. So that's good. I have aptasia anemones (I hate these things hopefully the peppermint I just got will eat them), green striped mushrooms, one blue spotted mushroom, trumpet coral, blue cloves, frogspawn, hailmeda, bubble algae, sponges on the rocks, peppermint shrimp, and a spaghetti leather. The tank is a standard 29 Bio-cube with a sapphire skimmer, titanium ground rod and heater. I have read many post's on zoo's but so far nothing has seem to help. I have tried freshwater dips with no luck. I have not been able to figure out what is killing off my zoo's any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Greg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Greg you don't mention a couple of things I'd like to know..

• A) What is your source water?
  • B) How often and how much is a Water Change for your tank?
  • C) What temp is your tank at?
  • D) What do you dose? How much and how often?
  • E) What lights do you have and how old are your bulbs?

ReefLady

Staff member
There's a small snail that will kill zo's. Notice anything like this in the tank?

sundial_tb.jpg

They are known as "sundial" or "box" snails. Very small, but will definitely kill zoanthids.

blue_eyes53813

I had the same problem before and I found sundial snails on mine like posted by Reeflady. The snails are actually very very hard to see on the zooanthids. Standing on there sides they look almost like a closed zoanthid polyp. I didnt see the snail until all polyps were almost gone and it moved..

Other things that ate my zoanthids are hitchhiker crabs. I saw a crab literally pull a 2" x 2" rock into its den and never saw them again.. Check your tank over very well .

Emperor559

Source water is R/O Temp is 74-76 sometimes gets to 78 but never fluctuates more than a degree or 2 in a day. I try to do 5g water changes every 2 weeks. I dose as needed after a water change. I try to test weekly just to see whats going on. I haven't been able to test strontium or iodine. Lights are PC's 2 36-watt bulbs, 1 10K, 1 actinic, and 3 blue led moonlights. The pc's are about 8-9 months old. As far as the snail I haven't seen like the one pictured but I have a bunch of tiny white ones which I thought were good. I did a search on here for posts about them and I read they were just algae eaters I forget the name though. I have checked for crabs over and over. I have even gotten up at 2-3 am to check the tank over. Still can't seem to figure it out.