dying fish

terrywitt

I have a fairly new RSM 130, and have a good number of corals and inverts that are all doing very well. For some reason, I cannot keep any fish alive. I have managed to kill even some damsels, a clown, several royal grammas, all species that should be easy to maintain. All my water parameters are good, I suspect some disease, not sure how to proceed??? There is now one clown and one damsel in the tank that seem healthy.
The fish seem to live a few days, then stop feeding and then pass on.
One had obvious whitespot, but most show no signs.
Any ideas welcomed,

Terry Witt

GrendelPrime

when u say fairly new does this meen the tank hasent cycled yet? usualy cycle is 6 to 8 weeks and what exactly are ur water parameters? by all ur fish dieing tells me theres something very wrong with ur tank..how are u acclimating the fish, are u using a qtank to check for diseases before u put them in ur display tank?

terrywitt

The tank has cycled, ammonia zero, nitrates low, temp stays around 79, salinity at 1027
The fish were added using protocol of matching water temps, salinity, etc from source to rsm.
I do not have a q tank setup now
Still suspect some infectious agent???

David Shaw

I am down to 1 x Fish for no apparent reason, no disease, water all good. Ni idea as to why it happened either.

BobBursek

Are the fish being bought from the same place? Some suppliers use Cyanide in the water to stun and capture the fish but it causes liver failure about 6 weeks later.

terrywitt

The fish came from 2 different suppliers, some supposed to be tank-bred
I have no idea how to check for stray voltage???
I don't get shocked when my paws are in the water
I do appreciate any and all suggestions

I now have one ocellaris clown who seems fine and has been on board for a month, and a recently arrived firefish goby and damsel who are OK at the moment
Think I will just chill on fish for another month and hope for the best
There are now 11 different species of corals present, of course some are only small frags, but all seem to be thriving

cheers

Terry Witt

xspeedrj

The tank has cycled, ammonia zero, nitrates low, temp stays around 79, salinity at 1027
The fish were added using protocol of matching water temps, salinity, etc from source to rsm.
I do not have a q tank setup now
Still suspect some infectious agent???

1027 seems high to me. What are your other parameters? PH and KH specifically. I wouldn't care as much with Mag and Cal with fish...

BLAKEJOHN

The salinity is fine. 1.0264 (35ppt) is recommended by most, although, how accurate is your tester? I would also like to know the PH and ALK.

Do the fish look like they are gasping for air...like working harder and faster to breath? How fast are they dying? It could be something as simple as your tank doesn't have enough of a flow or the fish are not getting enough oxygen. Is anything alive in the tank at this time?

terrywitt

ph stays between 8.2 and 8.3 during the day, I am adding marine buffer daily
My alkalinity is staying above recommended levels at 5.4 or so, not sure if this is a problem??
There is plenty of O2 in the water with 3 pumps and skimmer in use
Three fish there now are hanging in today

Terry Witt