Dying fish and out of answers.

lcstorc

I wouldn't call a fuge a must but it certainly is nice. Really it is just a place to add more bio-filtration. Some have pretty fuges and have them visible. Mine is certainly not somethin you want to see. Many people have an area of their sump that they separate to use as a fuge. Things people comonly put in fuges would be macro algae which uses nutrients removing them from the water column, a deep sand bed or mineral mud, and live rock or live rock rubble. It gives pods and such a place to breed and live undisturbed. It is also a place where I put unwanted critters. Any crabs I find get moved to the fuge. Any non reef safe snails get the same treatment.

lcstorc

That is really a matter of opinion. Yes I would, but many others would not. I have just had too many issues with crabs making a lunch out of other things in my tanks. With that said I have not had a problem with emeralds specifically. Mostly hermits and gorilla crabs and things like that. I have a mystery crab in my 20g right now that is bound for the fuge once I catch him.

jonathan10

a gorilla crab?? don't know that i have seen one of those! or maybe i have....are they really hairy? because I have one that i just assumed was a hairy emerald crab.

lcstorc

Souds like a Gorilla. If so get it out. Easiest way is a trap. There are lots of links describing traps but basically put a glass tilted against a rock with bait on the bottom. Crab goes in and can't get out.
Generally speaking if the crab is hairy or has black claws then it is bad news and should be removed. They generall eat fish and snails and whatever else they can get their claws on.

BigJay

one of my emeralds is hairy as all get out. Its definetly not a gorilla but the legs definetly need nair. The other emerald I bought at the same time is completely different in body coloration and lacks the hair. THe hairy one is very green and the non hairy is almost pale blue. My guess is two different mithrax variations and being sold under one name. They do however both have white tipped claws.
If I get a chance to take the a pic of it for you I will.
Mine are staying in my tank till they do damage. Once they do they are gone. At the rate they are growing my trust is waning.

jonathan10

well I do believe then that I have a gorilla crab because his claws are black and he is SO HAIRY!! could be a source of stress fir the fish who have died!!!!

BigJay

from what I have read on gorillas it very well could be but I have no first hand experience with one. I'd remove it just in case. If you don't have a fuge yet ask the LFS if they will take him.

jonathan10

I just wanted to update everyone who helped me on this thread!

I had the problem of everything dying after a couple of days in my tank and that kept happening for about 2-3 months. Well at the advice of the LFS I was using tap water for water changes (not knowing any better) and I'm thinking this may have been my problem.

Everyone here told me to get an RO/DI unit, which I did and got it hooked up with the help of Mark (Octoman), and have been doing weekly water changes ever since for a month now.

SO....I took the plunge the other day and made 2 purchases :D :D :D ...... here is one (sorry for the reflection I snapped this really quick before I left for work and it was on my phone so the quality is not great and doesn't do the fish justice!)....
008.jpg

And the other is a flame angel who will not stay still long enough for me to snap a picture of him!

The Sailfin (Popeye we call him) is gorgeous. Without the fins spread I would say he is about 3" and with them spread he is almost 6"-7" and about 4" long. I had the LFS hold him for me when they got him and I checked in on it for a couple of days and it was looking very healthy and plump and eating like a pig! So I bought him and he has been in there about a week now and is doing great! He gets along great with my Foxface (Foxy) and Blue Eyed Kole (No Name) and the Flame Angel (Tigger).

I hope that my past troubles are behind and I haev nothing but happy reefing ahead of me (with of course the trying and tough times that come with the hobby!!)

Octoman

4y2RwP8DcQ+d6rT9ATiAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

I hope you're successful this time around. Just remember to take it slow, don't add anything else until you're sure the new fish are doing well.

That sailfin is really nice!!

jonathan10

Brenda....sorry I haven't checked this thread in a long time! Which means.....no more problems!!! Things are going great!! Haven't lost anything in a long time and I owe it to everyone here who helped me with my problem! I think my biggest problem was doing the water changes without Ro/DI water! now I do a 25% water change once a week and its great!