Dwarf Flame Angel Sex!

MarbleShark

This question was asked was

"You mentioned in your last email that the unpaired fins of the male flame angel are much blue streaked than the female. How about much sharper end tip of the unpaired fins of the male as compared to the female. How true is this."

The answer given was

"Better, larger specimens of Centropyge loricula males have discernibly larger, longer unpaired (dorsal, anal) fins... but females that are in better shape can have ones that are even longer... If they're about the same age (oh boy) the males are quite smaller... and females from the same area and age will be more orange on their sides... But, once again, you can't tell how old, or where (generally) yours are hailing from... Take a look at a number of them in books and in person... you'll see the difference relative to the blue markings..."

Another question asked was

"I was at my LFS today, and they were selling 2 Flame Angels (C. loricula) as a "pair". Don't they change sexes as needed or something?"

The answer to this question was

"not exactly... they can/do change sex and will do so one way and once generally (unlike Clownfishes/other). They are also somewhat easy to sex. Most collected/seen in the trade are males. Females are very conspicuous with a washed out red/orange/citron flank with fewer and less wide dark vertical bars other flanks... as well as diminished purple bars on the anal fin."

Does anyone have any Dwarf Flame Angels out there that I can see pictures of to compare to mine? I am going to try and take some good pictures of mine tonight or this weekend. I am really excited about this and am looking to find another a mate for mine.

Please post your Dwarf Flame Angel Pictures!

MarbleShark

I am still trying to find (and failing miserably) what would happen if I put two of the same species in a tank together. It says that they can sometimes change, like Clownfish, sex to form a mated pair, but do I then run the risk of them killing each other in the mean time?

My Dwarf Flame Angel has some blue, but not much. I am wondering if it is a male or female. The LFS I bought if from cannot tell me.

Anyone have any luck with this?

Frankie

RS STAFF
I would not just put the two together and wish for miricles. You most likly will loose one of the two that way. check out the info i just put in my thread about pairing majestic angels. thats how im going about it.

lcstorc

Ditto Ffrankie. Be very careful introducing the new fish and be sure to have a plan for removal of one if things go wrong. Some ideas I have read are to introduce the new one after lights-out after feeding and re-arrange the rockwork to leave the existing with no established "home base"
Let us know how things go.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I'll be putting the new angel im trying to pair up in an eggcrate basket for about a week. I'll observe them very close during this time.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Dwarf Angels are very difficult to pair much more then your first post indicates and in a small tank the mistake can be disastrous.

Many people are curious about mixing species of dwarf angels, or even placing several of the same species in the same aquarium. In general, it is best to leave both of these instances for aquariums over 200 gallons. As an example, the smallest known territory for a given harem is C. argi at 5' x 12' with roughly six or seven specimens per harem. If you were to divide this out, you would find each specimen has a territory close to that of a 55-gallon aquarium. Note that I stated this was the smallest territory known. Some species, such as C. ferrugatus, require a considerable more amount of room. Females of this species will defend a territory of roughly 30m2. The males defend a territory even larger at 80m2. Note that those numbers are per animal.

When trying to mix dwarf angels, be sure to obtain the smallest animals you can get, and add them at the same time. The goal would be to receive all females, or one male and all the rest females. The smaller the fish, the better the chance of acquiring a female. The dominant female will undergo a sex change and become the male if one is not already present. If two males are added, one will need to be removed before they end up killing each other.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-02/hcs3/index.php

MarbleShark

Ok I have been reading and am still confused. Would a Male and a Female share a 55 Gallon territory or do they each need their own?

MarbleShark

I have not gotten another because

A) I am not completely sure that I have a male. He has some blue on his tail but not completely sure. The LFS I bought him from does not know the sex.

B) I am receiving conflicting reports on if I am able to do this in a 55 gallon or not. Some have said that the male and female can share that territory and others have said no.

I am going under the mantra of.. better safe than sorry.. I do not want a dead flame angle or to have one dead and injured flame angel on my hands.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
MarbleShark said:
B) I am receiving conflicting reports on if I am able to do this in a 55 gallon or not. Some have said that the male and female can share that territory and others have said no.

Is it possible ? Yes it's possible but no one can say for sure since most of the successful pairings or harems have been done in larger tanks. The only way to know is by trying, just be prepared to take the tank apart to save one of them if necessary. No one can give you difinitive answers to your questions because there are no absolutes, each fish has it's own personality, what will work for one may not with someone else.

Anyone have any luck breeding flame angles?

It has been done in the past but because the price on wild caught dropped dramatically tank bred ones couldn't compete.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/media.htm

Frankie

RS STAFF
Good choice. Its taken me years for the patients to try doing what i am with my angels. I still have the new one in the crate and am going to wait for a few more weeks before even thinking of letting it out. Im not to sure my first one is happy or not. He's not bothering it anymore so thats a good sign. But i like your curiosity wanting to try it and think you made a good decision in the end. Karma marbleshark :)